• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Where Have The Bee's Gone?

Az Gardener

LawnSite Gold Member
Sounds like a stupid question I know but I am just wondering what you have noticed in your area or heard?

In case you have missed the news reports, the short version is that many bee keepers report that the bee's are disappearing. Some have reported half of their hives just disappeared. They can't even find dead bees to autopsy they just abandon the hives and are not to be seen from. This problem is not limited to the US and is occurring overseas too.

I have lots of Jasmine in full bloom right now and it is typically covered in bee's and I have not seen a single one this year.

Roger

LawnSite Fanatic
There is a real cause for concern. To suggest "... not here," is the suggests a lack of understanding of their importance. There have been many stories this past Winter about the depletion of the population.

Bees play a very important role in the cycles of nature. They are the primary pollination agent for crops. In areas highly populated with orchards, beekeepers bring in many hives, placing them right in the orchards. The bees are there for the purpose of doing the pollination. Lack of pollination means that the fruit trees don't get pollinated, hence no fruit. In many areas across the US, this is a critical problem.

Depletion of the bee population does not seem to be limited to one area. Apparently, many areas are reporting the same problem, but the explanation for their demise remains a mystery.

Here is one of many stories:

http://www.smm.org/buzz/blog/to_bee_or_not_to_bee_huge_numbers_of_the_insects_are_vanish

capelawncare.com

LawnSite Fanatic
We have a detached garage out back. It is made out concrete block. A whole nest of Africanized honey bees actually took up residence inside the hollow part of block. They got in there where the electricity comes into the wall.

Anyhow, I was string trimming about 10 feet from there. When a swarm of them flew out of the wall and attacked me. Fortunatly I actually saw them come at me, and took of like a bat outta hell, and only managed to get stung in head about a half dozen times.

I am very gratefull i wasnt right next to the wall. I had pest company come in, and after a few hours, and several hundred dollars, there are enough dead bee's laying on the floor to fill a small trash can. Couldnt tell you how many dead ones are still in the wall. The pest guy told he could hear the whole wall buzzing, said it was the worst case he had ever seen.

dcondon

LawnSite Silver Member
The cherry growers are crying up north of here because there bees are all gone. I feel bad for all of the people that rely on them...

jt5019

LawnSite Bronze Member
Today was my first full day of mowing and i came across quite a few bees... Maybe not as many as normal but it really hasn't been very warm here yet.

Grassmechanic

LawnSite Silver Member
There is a fungi that is killing bees, but a recent article that I just read suggested that the bees that are abandoning their hives are doing so because of cell phone frequency waves that are screwing up their ability to return to their hives. Pretty scary for the world's production of fruits and vegetables if this is indeed true.

Eakern & Dog

LawnSite Senior Member
but a recent article that I just read suggested that the bees that are abandoning their hives are doing so because of cell phone frequency waves that are screwing up their ability to return to their hives. Pretty scary for the world's production of fruits and vegetables if this is indeed true
I wonder if wi-fi internet is contributing as well. I live near a college campus that recently launched a huge wi-fi network for the students last summer. I had a poor crop of pumkins that following summer/fall because of few bees.