Where is winterizing applicable?

Discussion in 'Winterizing' started by WacoSprinkler, Jul 7, 2018.

?

Should winterizing be something I talk about, advertise, show on my website in Texas?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WacoSprinkler

WacoSprinkler LawnSite Member

When I worked in Denver it seemed that many people winterized their sprinkler systems. Since then I worked in several places in Texas and it seems far less common. I'm guessing the main factor is how long a freeze lasts. Even so we had a pretty good freeze in Texas (Jan 2018) but most people still didn't winterize. I guess one way to look at it is if they don't call us to winterize they'll be calling us after the freeze to fix something.
    I guess my real question is in the poll below: should winterizing be something I talk about, advertise, show on my website in Texas?

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Imo look at the historical weather records for the average low temp and the lowest modern low recordThumbs Up

greenworldh2o and That Guy Gary like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

It takes a good while for the ground to freeze, even when air temps are low the ground is still being warmed when the sun is out. From what I understand in the South you just need to winterize the above ground components like the backflow preventer, pressure control valves or whatever isn't buried.

hort101 likes this.
  4. WacoSprinkler

WacoSprinkler LawnSite Member

Absolutely. The underground parts don't even come close to freezing. Some people wrap their valves and backflow equipment, but most don't even bother with that. Its just naked PVC and copper on the side of the house.

5. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

we really just have to worry about the backflow preventors around here. And it has to stay below freezing for at least a couple days. When day time temps are still below freezing is when i begin to worry. But all too often it'll get down to 30* early in the am, but by afternoon were back in the 40's and even 50's.

we usually only have a day or two each year when these conditions happen. But alas, most everyone winterizes around here now. Worst case your backflow freezes, i see alot of frozen 12" popups (usually installed sticking out of the ground) and only rarely seen frozen underground pipe.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

For whatever reason, winterizing must be gaining traction in the south. I’m in Central Texas and my irrigator said he had several calls about winterizing last fall/winter. He said he has never had winterization calls before and has had his irrigator’s license since 2004.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Richmoney

Richmoney LawnSite Member

I am saying yes! In addition, I have never repaired a pipe that was buried that broke due to freezing. I have replaced countless backflows, pumps, and heads on risers that froze. That is what you should be looking at.

8. Josh Powers

Josh Powers LawnSite Member

I live in N.W. Ohio. Our 100 year frost line depth is approx 36". You can guarantee that every part of the system will freeze solid every year.....that gets expensive real quick for the client. Biggest thing is look up the 100 year frost line depth for your area. That should tell you if it's needed or not.

hort101 likes this.
  9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Bronze Member

Install manual drains.

hort101 likes this.