1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Where to get blade height gauge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Feb 5, 2005.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a blade height gauge. We bought one over the summer from Simplicity, but the overall design of it wasn't very easy to use. Does anyone know of a place to get them online or anywhere else? Im looking to check the height from the ground to the blade tip.
    THANKS!

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took some pieces of oak flooring and cut several pieces a 1/4" different in length starting at 2" up to 3 1/2". I did this so I could compair the cutting height to the scale on adjustment and between different mowers. I drilled a small hole in each block and strung them together with a cord. I carry them in the trailer box.

Mark

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

John Deere sells a plastic one that is satisfactory for about eight dollars.

A snap gauge for measuring cylinder bore diameter would work also.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

5. PR0 TURF

Richard Martin....thanks for the link to the gauge. That is exactly what I was looking for!

6. PR0 TURF

Speaking of blade height/deck leveling....when you adjust the blade height do you strive for a perfectly even cut across the length & width of the deck. If i am not mistaken I think i remember hearing to try to get the rear of the deck either a 1/4" higher or lower than the front...or maybe an 1/8"..something minimal. Anyone have any experience with this to achieve the best cut.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The recommended pitch is normally around 1/8" to 1/4". Rear higher than the front.

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about the rest of you but I just park the mower on concrete, lower the deck and check the height with a tape measure. I don't think it could be much easier.

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds workable but you miss the opportunity to add a cool new gadget to your tool box. :D Where's the fun in that.

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it is neat to have all sorts of "gizmos" :p