• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Where to get rid of grass clippings ?

skmodmsl

LawnSite Member
I was wonderering where you guys dispose of grass clippings. My local landfill doesnot accept them. I plan to mulch the lawns I mow. However windrows of grass are sometimes inevitable. I hate the "hayfield" look of them. I've resorted to blowing them around to scatter them. Do your towns accept grass clippings or is it just the town I live in ?

lawnmedic1

LawnSite Member
We have farms that will take our clippings or leaves, But we just double cut when needed. Raise your deck 1/2 to 3/4 inch and re-cut areas needed using same strips...Chuck

Doster's L & L

LawnSite Senior Member
Designate a spot on your own propertyas a compost bin. Just an idea.

grshppr

LawnSite Senior Member
Put an ad in the paper under farm equipment so something along those lines. I just did and got 2 places to dump an unlimited amount of grass.

Del9175

LawnSite Senior Member
Check in your town if there are any recycling yards. Around here they take any kind of yard debris. $22 a ton. They turn it into mulch and compost.

C & T

LawnSite Member
Check the yellow pages, there are some compost sites but they do cost a fee. If you need to add that into your price - which you should do anyway's. The other solution would be to do what was said above: get mulching blades and double cut if it's that high.

Shawn

Petr51488

LawnSite Silver Member
Although I am only 16, I have 15 accounts in my area and its only spring! I have an advantage in my town. They take Vegetation every other week for free as part of the garbage clean up. So, I use 5 of those green garbage cans and put them out every other week. Whenever I have an overload of grass I store it behind my garage and take it out the week after. So things are good here with grass!

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
petr, i just got a letter from the d.e.p. concerning doing what your doing. if the clippings you're collecting, are going to a recycling center, then ground into mulch to be used in flower beds and vegetable gardens, and they contain a herbicide, guess who's in trouble??