Lawn Care Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonderering where you guys dispose of grass clippings. My local landfill doesnot accept them. I plan to mulch the lawns I mow. However windrows of grass are sometimes inevitable. I hate the "hayfield" look of them. I've resorted to blowing them around to scatter them. Do your towns accept grass clippings or is it just the town I live in ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Designate a spot on your own propertyas a compost bin. Just an idea.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Put an ad in the paper under farm equipment so something along those lines. I just did and got 2 places to dump an unlimited amount of grass.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Check the yellow pages, there are some compost sites but they do cost a fee. If you need to add that into your price - which you should do anyway's. The other solution would be to do what was said above: get mulching blades and double cut if it's that high.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Although I am only 16, I have 15 accounts in my area and its only spring! I have an advantage in my town. They take Vegetation every other week for free as part of the garbage clean up. So, I use 5 of those green garbage cans and put them out every other week. Whenever I have an overload of grass I store it behind my garage and take it out the week after. So things are good here with grass!

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
petr, i just got a letter from the d.e.p. concerning doing what your doing. if the clippings you're collecting, are going to a recycling center, then ground into mulch to be used in flower beds and vegetable gardens, and they contain a herbicide, guess who's in trouble??

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
MEG MO's will not work if the customer insists on bagging. And some do and are willing to pay extra. All my bagging customers have a designated area for me to dump clippings. That is the only way I will take such a contract. I hate to bag bad enough. I refuse to haul clippings around all day.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Bobby... They collect grass clippings from everyone in the town... not just me... theres nothing wrong with it, otherwise they wouldn't collect it in the first place

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bring all my clippings to a lady with a garden. She uses the clippings to mulch her plants (tomatos, corn, cukes, etc.) It works out for her because it cuts down on her weeding and adds organic matter to the soil. It works out for me because I can get rid of the clippings. Plus she gives me free vegetables at the end of the summer!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Petr51488,

Just cause they do it does not make it right. Think about all the homeowners who dump hundreds of pounds of chemicals in their lawn, then add all those together for the trash route. How good do you suppose that compost really is?? just my two cents. Our local and federal governments do some very strange things that may or may not be right. Hey, I earned the money, but the govt takes 30% of it every year. Is that right, or theft??

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
petr, what others do, and what you do as a contractor, are two different things. for one, i bet your town has an ordinance, like mine does, that states, "contractors will not be allowed to bring waste or materials from job sites and store, or dispose of, on thier personal property. nor will they be allowed to use city pickups, or dump sites, as means of disposal". as far as the letter goes, you want me to send you a copy? i got it in the mail 2 days ago, i bet tony got the same letter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.