Where to go

Luxe2020

LawnSite Member
How’s it going? I’ve been lurking the site for quite some time but finally joined to get more insights and information. I have some questions on starting up business next year and will appreciate any feedback. Business is for lawn care(mowing , trimming, edging) and Hardscape services (decorative concrete, retaining walls, sidewalk, driveways etc)

1. How do I go about contacting or finding cemetery jobs for placing bids? I’m trying to target most residential to start, but would like to try and get a few of these as well.
2. When is the best time for these bids? Now before the new year?

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
How’s it going? I’ve been lurking the site for quite some time but finally joined to get more insights and information. I have some questions on starting up business next year and will appreciate any feedback. Business is for lawn care(mowing , trimming, edging) and Hardscape services (decorative concrete, retaining walls, sidewalk, driveways etc)

1. How do I go about contacting or finding cemetery jobs for placing bids? I’m trying to target most residential to start, but would like to try and get a few of these as well.
2. When is the best time for these bids? Now before the new year?

1. Cemeteries aren’t easy and rarely pay as well as residential accts. Finding the contact for cemeteries isn’t really straight forward. Some are owned by national companies who will contact the lco for a bid. Some are owned by local funeral homes and will accept a cold call bid. Others are owned by municipalities and if they do take bids, you’re generally bidding on more than just the cemetery. Our city has their own maint. crews that mow so they don’t sub out any of the parks, cemeteries, etc.

2. The best time for a start up business to advertise is sooner rather than later. The longer your businesses marketing is being seen by potential customers, the better off your business will be, at least as far as getting calls. Landing the customer and then keeping the customer is harder than getting the opportunity to bid them.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Early spring for residential mowing services IMO. Here it'd be around end of first week in March. A large blitz postcard mailing or something to that effect. Too early and it's not top of mind. Too late and well you missed out. Roughly about a month before everything is in full swing.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
East Tennessee here. First warm spell after Valentine's Day gets people thinking about their lawns and landscaping.

Being farther north it might be mid to late March for your area. Try doing your advertising about 2-3 weeks before you would cut your grass for the first time if yours is a fertilized lawn.

Are spring cleanups a common practice there? If so, you might start a bit earlier.

Top Forums