1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

where to start?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by beachtownlawnservice, Aug 24, 2011.

  1. beachtownlawnservice

    beachtownlawnservice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 104

    I've taken the I.P.M class at the Texas A.G. i've passed my commercial applicators test "ornamental & turf" but i feel i have a lot to learn before i start applying pesticides & herbicides commercially to customers lawns. Im in Texas "houston area". is there any additional training, schools, classes, etc. anyone can recommend,
  2. Turf Dawg

    Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,719

    I know the way you feel. I guarantee someone could pass the test and not be able to tell the difference between St Augustine, Bermuda or Zoysia grass. I am not aware of any training classes other than the ones where they go over the training manuals for the tests. As long as you can identify grasses and most of the main weeds and calibrate a sprayer/spreader then you just need to find out what chemicals do the best job. There is a lot of info on this site and many people that are willing to help licensed applicators.

    Remember that the only people that have never made a mistake or the ones that have never done anything. We just all try to keep mistakes at a minimum and learn from them and you should always be trying to improve. I know their are plenty of people out there that have forgotten more than I will ever know but I always try to keep learning.
  3. vencops

    vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,537

    Find a quality supplier. He'll be very valuable to you. There's a few guys at my supplier's location that are great resources.

    There's an old carpenter's saying that says...."Measure twice and cut, once". That applies to mixing chemicals, also.

    When in doubt, ask in this forum. I've worn these guys out. They've been great.
  4. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    Georgia has a short Home course that really has a ton of good information. They also offer a Certification if you take the Mid Term and final test. I am not sure how important that Certificate is but I can guarantee you the knowledge is priceless. I am thinking it cost around $ 350 but well worth it.

    Fl-landscape took the course and got the Certification. He was already knowledgable before taking the course. But I could really see a vast improvement when he started teaching me things he learned from that course.

    I am too lazy to look up a link so maybe someone will post a Link.
  5. n-green

    n-green LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 367

    Lebanon Turf has an 80 pg manual for free. At least it was. Tons of good info on soil types, macro and micro nutrients. plenty of info on turf types, insects and weeds.
  6. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,723

    As Vencops pointed out, talk to several venders and, while buying a few things, you will get an earful. (And sometimes a free lunch). Bachelor of Science, its called a Vendor BS degree. Feel free to buy the lunch and drink yourself yourself, a friend in the industry is extremely valuable. He will know what your competitors are buying.

    Also be sure to read a few thousand posts right on this site. Answer the questions that are posed--and then--read the posts of others who answered his question and compare your answers.

    Click on all the sponsors links on this site and look for helpful information.

    Be sure to take advantage of nearby university information, brochures, websites and newsletters.
  7. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Messages: 5,954

    I passed the Texas O/T exams in 1979, yet the Texas "exams" taught me absolutely nothing regarding practical experience. I figure I learned about 5% of what I know in college. The other 95% came from working for somebody else for many years (field experience). In my case, it was from ChemLawn Corporation when the Duke brothers still owned it. Classes, books, etc, etc don't even come close to practical experience IMO.

    Nearly all "experts" in their field that I know of worked for somebody else before starting their own successful business. my 2 cents

  8. fl-landscapes

    fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,542

    I think a combination of both is best. Hands on experience is critical about what to spray where and when. Technical knowledge is nice to know what you sprayed where and when worked or did not work and why.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page