WHERE'S YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Parrot

Parrot LawnSite Member

i work alone and i have 36 res and 2 comm. the comm accounts are 100 and 150 percut and res avg 50 per cut. i wouldn't mind having more comm, but i've never really went after them. Too busy fishing i guess.<br>

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Like the plumber says, one persons $#!t and paper is my bread and butter!<p>Seriously my money in the summer is made small residential (largest lot is ~1 acre) 60 mowing accounts plus hedges, winter its 90 per cent commercial snow plowing the other 10 per cent is driveways from the lawn customers I cant afford to lose out on.<p>Bill

3. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

Mowman,<p>The profit PERCENTAGES on residentials should be higher than commercial....but assuming your pricing is correct on commercial, the dollars are higher....look at it like this....SHOULD you make more money on a $150 job or on a $600 job?<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.

4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

It all depends where you live.But in my case there is way more $ in residential.Most people don't charge more than $30 an hour for commercial work!That's nuts!And that's cnd dollars were talking about.That is why I am doing high end residential work.I am getting $30-100 an hour.I will soon bring that up to $40-100.Down the road I will get back into commercial work.But I want to maximize my business before I do that.I think if you live in a large city commercial work is great but I live in a town of 28000 people with about 15 other companys big and small.<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'll take a commercial account over a residential any day. No one watching you like a hawk while yor on their property. No nit-picking. And when they ask for extras, they don't question the price.

6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

BOb just about clarified it with his post. A customer stares at the lawn all day all week commercial just sees it as a lawn and not their home. The company pays for it so they dont usually care and the home owner just needs to save because the house is an expense and their trying to save with it. This is not the case evrywhere but in my opinion its a good summary of the way it is in most cities.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My bread and butter is in the pre-cutting season with cleans and dethatchings. On and off quick and high $ per hour ratios.<br>Some residential customers could care less and some are a pain in the tail as stated.<br>It takes time to learn who is the pain and who isn't.<br>Next year I am going for more mid sized commercials, thats where the money is here.

8. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE LawnSite Member

At the present time, my money on commercial vs. residential is about 60/40. I have about 60 residential and 10 commercial. One of my commercials though pays me $10,000/mo and it only takes me two days/mo to do it with 3 other guys besides myself. Next month the ratio of commercial to residential will cahnge to about 80/20 with the acquisition of about a $200,000/year commercial job. Most of the guys in my town of about 30,000 do not want the commercial jobs, because they say there is not enough money there...go figure. If everyone in town went after the commercial jobs, there probably would not be much money with everyone involved in trying to outbid the next guy. I think it all depends on location. I did not set out with the intentions of having most of my income come from commercial jobs, but I am not complaining. I'll have to hire a whole new crew next month when I start my big account, but that's just part of it. I plan on keeping my current crew busy on everything but this new account, and putting the new crew on this new account. From my standpoint, commercial is way better.<p>----------<br>Richard Holton<br>Jesup, GA

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

MOW ED wrote:<p>&quot;It takes time to learn who is the pain and who isn't.&quot;<p>In fact it is a skill. After you have been dealing with people on this level for a while, you can &quot;read&quot; new customers when you meet them. You actually can tell how they are going to be as customers a large percentage of the time.<p>

10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

TGC,<br>Try a &quot;Korn&quot; hat, they will think your a farmer. Or a &quot;Tool&quot; hat, now your a mechanic.<br>&quot;EMENEM&quot; your dislexic.<p>The fourth screwed me up as well, but I recovered...now its raining. Keep upping those rates. I shave twice a week.