Which 1/2 ton would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jbannick18, Oct 29, 2007.

1. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to get a 1/2 ton within a couple months and was wondering what others opinions are between Chevy, Ford, GMC, Toyota. Thanks

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I would choose Ford of Toyota

3. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Are you talking brand new? Go test drive them all and see what you like the best. I'm glad to see you eliminated Dodge from your choices.

The one on the right is mine. I want both:cry:

Tundra & F-250 002.jpg

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What do you plan on doing with the truck why don't you go for atleast a 3/4 ton then it can actually haul something. If i was buying any truck it would be a Ford I'am a little biased but I drive nothing but Ford light trucks :D

5. jbannick18

Well the f-150 i'm looking at can haul 9000lbs I believe, or that is what I was told. I don't plan on hauling anything heavier than that. Gas and actual cost of the truck is the reason I don't think I'm going to go with a 3/4 ton just yet. Thats a sweet truck Gravely!!!

6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i had a 05 f150 with the 5.4 and it could barely tow 3k

7. jbannick18

Well thats not good to hear 0.o. Anyone else?

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't ever beleive the ratings on 1/2 ton trucks if you want to tow something get a 3/4 ton. I actuality a 1/2 ton is a daily driver grocery getter they really are not designed to pull trailers etc.

For the truck to pull 9000lbs its gotta be a bare bones basic truck 2wd I would say 5000lbs is max a 1/2 ton should be pulling.

9. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The 5.4 in a F250 is kind of sad IMO. It will get the job done, but it feels very weak (to me). I did not think that it was to bad on the newer F150's when I drove them. The 5.4 is not made for speed by any means, Ford for that matter seems to revolve around strength than performance.

What year are you looking to get?

10. jbannick18

I was looking at the 07's, probably a 4.6 l v8 ext cab or possibly move up to the 5.4l not sure yet