Which aerator to pick?

Petr51488

LawnSite Silver Member
Which aerator is better? and why?

Billy Goat AE401H Aerator or the Ryan Lawnaire IV Plus Aerator 4hp Honda.

They are both different style aerators and was wondering which works better. Roller? or independent wheels like on the billy goat. THanks!

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Senior Member
Which aerator is better? and why?

Billy Goat AE401H Aerator or the Ryan Lawnaire IV Plus Aerator 4hp Honda.

They are both different style aerators and was wondering which works better. Roller? or independent wheels like on the billy goat. THanks!
Ryan Lawnaire IV Plus Aerator 4hp Honda.
That would be my vote.

I've run both quite a bit. However, I could be considered biased.:rolleyes: I prefer the Billy Goat for a few reasons I'll mention. The easy fill/empty water in the top weight that gets you better plug depth instead of a front drum. I also GREATLY prefer the fact that you can simply "Lift and Lock" to pull the tines out of the turf instead of having grab the engage/disengage handle every time. It's also much more stable on hillsides because the engine is lower. Here's the promo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxJoj1Hm3sY. Watch from 1:38 to 3:30 to see some of the features.

However, don't take my word for it run them side by side and make the decision off of your experience and needs.

OP
P

Petr51488

LawnSite Silver Member
I think watching that video had me sold. Has anyone else used the billy goat?

lawnguy224

LawnSite Member
Last season I purchased the Billy Goat aerator, was very happy with it, after using Ryan aerators in the past, both are good machines it just depends what machine suits you and your needs better, for me it was the Billy Goat, no regreats!!!
Best of luck with your decision!!