1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which aerator to use ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by On a call, Sep 1, 2017.

1. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

I have an area that I need to incorporate organics into soil that is clay based and right now hard as concrete. It is 50% covered with a fescue/blue mix. This area was filled with junk fill and needs admented with something to break up this yellow clay.

My intention is to water down the area to soften up the clay, then aerate twice or more, top dress with a 50/50 mix of compost and sand, followed up by slicing in new seed.

Any thoughts on type of aerator ??? I am really wanting a deep wide hole. I was thinking instead of a roller type aerator using a piston punching style ??

Thanks...

2. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

Good questions subscribed.

Is it too big/awkward to till?

BR,

~TW

hort101 and On a call like this.
  3. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

TrainingWheels and On a call like this.
  4. On a call

Not really too large but with the fact 50 % is established we have decided not to use this method. The area is about 1.5 acres with an irrigation system ( which is another reason not to till ).

But this was a dirrection along with possible bulldozing, removal, and replace.

Thank you for the thought TW

TrainingWheels likes this.
  5. On a call

Looks like this is the machine we will be using...or, at least the Toro brand which is a clone. Should be fast so multi-able passes will be possible.

This machine might be a few years old...not sure what updates have been done. However as is this would nail the job needed.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I guess that you would use whichever aerator you had access to. I doubt that you can find a super deep golf course aerator:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

On a call and GrassManKzoo like this.
  7. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

You also said that you were going to apply some 50/50, sand/compost. I have red clay here. I have a compost spreader. I just spread compost over my lawn, and then walk around with a back pack blower and make sure the grass isn't getting suffocated under clumps.

My main point is the sand. I know that golf courses spread sand on bent grasses. I'm guessing, mainly to level the greens. I heard that a sand and red clay blend, make a solid dirt road.

TrainingWheels and On a call like this.
  8. On a call

Thank you for that suggestion !
    I was thinking the same thing about the sand making concrete :(
    Good suggestion about using the blower.
    Wishing I could find a compost spreader !!!!!!

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

10. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

This method drills deep. I do not know, if you can substitute compost for the sand.

hort101 and On a call like this.