1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Which blade for blackberry's?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wayne02, May 18, 2005.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02 LawnSite Member
    from WA

I've got a ton of 12' tall, entangled blackberry's on some rural acreage we own. I've been hacking away at as best I can with the brush hog behind the tractor.

However, there are places I can't get the tractor and have been using my gas weed-eater w/ blade. I forget the model number, but it is the Home Depot straight shaft echo. I purchased a blade for it from HD and it sort of worked ok, but did not last long at all.

If you are familiar with wild blackberry's, you know they are a nasty, thick, fibrous mess to cut. I'm wondering if there is a different type or style of blade I should be using in this application???????? I don't mind paying more for a blade if it provides better results and longer life. Where can I buy such an animal?

Can the cheap blade from HD be re-sharpened, or is it throw away? Cheaper to buy a new blade than re-sharpen maybe?

Thanks
    Wayne