Which brushcutter/trimmer to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by simpleman, Aug 15, 2017.

1. simpleman

simpleman LawnSite Member

Hello,

I will be hopefully picking up a brushcutter/trimmer this coming weekend.

I will be using it for personal use to clear/make atv/snowmobile trails and clean up around our property 1+acre.
    I was hoping to be able to let it double as a trimmer for around the house and gardens as well. Basically a one does all tool.

I'm considering a handle bar type grip, but I'm kind of skeptical about it as I do not have much experience with them. I also like how easy it is to manoeuvre a loop handle rig.

I would be trimming a lot of alder so I'd be using a 50t plus blade a lot of the time.
    And then using it for grass and other smaller brush with nylon and or brush blade at the cutting end.

I'd prefer to have something that will last me years with minimal maintenance required. Would be using it in just below freezing temperatures to mid summer days.

Considering the:

- Honda 35cc unit with either loop or handle bar
    - the stihl 130 unit with handle bar (local clearance sale for 500CAD)
    - the stihl 131 unit with either loop or handle bar
    - the echo SRM 280 unit with either loop or handle bar

I've used the 35cc Honda once and my uncle had a circular saw blade on it and I wasn't too fond of how slowly it revved up seemed like poor throttle response... so maybe that was a one off issue I am not sure.

Let me know your thoughts

2. simpleman

Oh and I'm sticking with either stihl, Honda or echo as these are the only dealers nearby.

hort101 likes this.
  3. sbronemann

sbronemann LawnSite Member

I am picking up at Stihl FS111R. Currently have a FS56RC which has been a great trimmer since I bought it 3 years ago. You can't really go wrong with any of those brands. They are all quality products. My father-in-law has been using Stihls around the farm for a long time and they always last a long time and are quality pieces of equipment. It just comes down to personal preference.

hort101 likes this.
  4. simpleman

I've just heard that stihl trimmers have been having their reliability issues... and I don't know if that is specifically directed towards their lower end stuff or all their stuff.

5. sbronemann

sbronemann LawnSite Member

I have seen a few issues on a few forums pop up with the FS94R with carb issues. But otherwise, my 56RC has been flawless in the 3 years with Amsoil Sabre. Starts 3rd pull every time and just keeps working. Can't wait to get my new FS111R today or tomorrow! My father-in-law has the bicycle handle 131R and the power that thing has is amazing!

6. simpleman

Awesome! That's what I was wondering, I'm also curious what the power is like on the 131/130 vs honda 35cc rig.

Also wondering if the 131 is worth $70 more Canadian.

7. Keith Gandy

Keith Gandy LawnSite Member

Fs250 or fs460c

8. simpleman

There are no more 250's around my neck of the woods, so I'm actually going to go with the fa 240 I think. I'm hoping it will be better in alder than the Honda or fs131 and I've decided against echo 280 because of what seems to be durability issues and I'm assuming it's power is not even as much as the 131 and I'm considering the 410 due to its lack of refinement, weight and I doubt it's probably as powerful as the fs240 yet costs more.

Keith Gandy likes this.
  9. Keith Gandy

Keith Gandy LawnSite Member

I work on saws , trimmers, blowers, etc. I have 3 fs250s I redid to mint which I love and a FS460c which is bad to the bone. The 131 is an awesome unit as far as torque but the extra parts in the 4 mix system being valves, rods, a plastic cam, etc. IMO are more things to go wrong. Just alil wear on the plastic cam and it throws the timing out then odd tuning characteristics follow. Sold all my 4 mix units for personal use except my BR600 and bought the fs250s , fs460c, and the HT250 polesaw. Far better units than 4 mixes from a mechanical standpoint but thats just my opinon and thoughts fellows

10. simpleman

Thank you! I really appreciate your input on the 4mix... I hate the idea of plastic on the engine internals... does not make sense to me.

That's what I was thinking and why I'm going to go with the 240 which is still 2 stroke (just stratocharged). The 250 hasn't been available for the last 2 years and I'd love the 460 but it's dramatically more exspensive.

The 460 is $1250 CAD
    They told me they'd sell me the 240 for $650 CAD

I think when we get another house, I'll pick up a 94 (2-stroke) as a specific trimmer.

Keith Gandy likes this.