Which CC processing company do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 13Razorbackfan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

And what are their charges and how is the ease of use of their platform?

2. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Right now I’m using Stripe through Yardbook for lawns. Think they’re 2.9% + $.30 but I’ve heard Yardbook is now addding another 1% so they get a piece of the pie.

I’m also set up to use the payments through the Joist App that I use for washing. I think it’s WePay. They’re 2.9% + $.30 for online processing, 1.5% up to $15 for ECheck, 2.7% + $.30 for credit card reader, and 3.75% + $.30 for manual entry. Don’t have any feedback as, so far, all my wash customers have paid cash or check.

I’ve also used Square in the past. Don’t remember the rates.

Never had an issue with payments or navigating the sites on any of them.

13Razorbackfan and hort101 like this.
  3. 13Razorbackfan

2.9% isn't too bad I don't suppose. I might give that a shot. I think from what I read right around 2.9 is about the going rate.

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

My opinion: Think of it this way, that is 2.99% of your profit right off the top. All profit you are giving up. If you are a little company i would hold off as long as possible before accepting CC. I'm over 1000 clients and we accept them, but i sure wish we didn't need to.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  5. 13Razorbackfan

Yeah I'm still fairly small

6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

IMO, 2.9% is a small price to pay to not have to chase payments, send out invoices, or deposit checks. Plus, the CC are deductible as far as I know.

Most of my customers pay by CC and most of those choose auto draft. End of the month I charge the cards and a couple days later it’s money the bank. No wasted time. Wish I could get everyone to do it, but I have a few hold outs that haven’t saved their card.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

The green industry is so sluggish with making things convenient for customers.

We pay 2.99 for entered, 1.99 for swiped with Intuit.

Maintenance (lower margin) services we only do commercial and $1million + homes residential and they are all auto ACH or write us a check. These are dependable customers who you don't have to chase for money.

High margin, high volume services like sprinkler repair and lawn care work we allow them to pay ACH through our online portal. We rarely chase payments but the ones that we do I enable CC payments on their account and then they pay.

At least give the ACH option to your customers. It's cheap and way easier than writing and mailing a check.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Or you can do like me and add that % to your overhead and recover it through your pricing.

BrendonTW and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  9. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

Maybe a dumb question...are they paying for the ending month or upcoming month? I’ve been mostly payment at time of service or within a few days online. However I am currently having some customers pay for the upcoming month. Just seeing what works best for folks. Thanks.

10. 13Razorbackfan

Not to speak for Todd but I believe I read where he is getting pre-payment for the upcoming month. I would like to slowly start transitioning as well. I get tired of having $4-5k a month in invoices waiting to be paid. I haven't been burned recently but its always in the back of my mind along with the idea that I feel like I am loaning people money(my labor/overhead) at 0% for up to 6-8 weeks if you take into account the first couple mows of each month.

Todd73 and CJ's Mowing Service like this.