1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Listerek

Listerek LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am buying a straight shaft string trimmer and want some advice on which brands are best. Thanks for any advice.

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Cordless as in battery powered or gas? Battery powered I'd say dealt or Milwaukee. Gas I'd go with the stihl 94r.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Corded is even an option?

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Love the t3000’s w/2ah batts. Perfect power to weight ratio. Lighter than most under 25cc gas units. Great throttle response and come w/Speed Feed.
    but they discontinued.

Going w/the egos now. Top end homeowner unit over the pro for the head and weight. Running the 2ah. Good trimmer as well.

need carry a few extra batts w/2ah but weight makes it worthwhile. .080 line if you not a homeowner and remove the guard.

The Swamp Fox likes this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you considered the Echo trimmer?

hort101 likes this.
  6. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

What cordless power tool platform are you currently invested in? Sticking with this could be a consideration for battery interchangeability.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Turf Tracer

Would not worry about interchangeability w/other tools. String trimmers to replace under 25cc gas only worthwhile units w/current tech. Hedge trimmers and chainsaw and mowers and blowers and snowblowers Not ready for commercial use yet. Purely homeowner performance.

8. Turf Tracer

Newer echo model may be better. Didn’t like throttle response on units avail last time I checked

hort101 likes this.
  9. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using the Milwaukee brand the last couple of years and I really like it a lot. I use the 9.0 batteries (I have 6). It is heavier than my Echo 210 gas trimmer, but we're not talking about a lot of weight, so that part doesn't bother me at all. I haven't tried any of the other brands, so I am not suggesting that Milwaukee is the way to go, by any means. I have a speed-feed head on mine, it has been super reliable. I have never run out of juice during the work day, either (and we use their blower too - so I have 6 batteries to run 2 tools). I would consider their 12.0 batteries, too. But at this point, I'm not sure I need them.

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Was echo you used the motor on top or bottom?

sjessen likes this.