1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

No but they slower than gas because of the slower teeth. I’m all for batt if they don’t cut into my productivity.

replacing under 25cc string for light duty trimming only batt that don’t affect my productivity numbers at this point

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

In my experience its the same pas string trimmer or hedge attachment equal to pas 225 gas
    Only attachment gas is needed is edger or pole pruner saw

3. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

I haven't asked a customer in quite some time if I can charge...helped at the beginning while I was still adding amp hours. Costs around a quarter to charge and my customers where always happy to let me do it...but yes I do have excellent customers and know most of them well. Plus I was in sales for years so I'm not shy as well as I don't assume things that I don't know.

It might help to add that I live in one of the most progressive parts of the country so people are all in on battery stuff.

The battery stuff is faster than gas to come to bare.....no pull starting..no warm up time......just grab and go. I chose a system that works for me...your milleage may vary.

And it's not $250....it's $350 and I have five of them. Plus more than that of smaller sizes. Enough to run two trucks spring time when my wife joins the party.

It's definitely not for everybody yet. If you do grab that Echo I think you'll like it as I think is the best stand alone battery trimmer available right now.

Jeremy

Crazy 4 grass, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Thanks for sharing JeremyThumbs UpThumbs Up

My old boss was worried about customers complaining about plugging in corded tools
    In ten years only one person has even questioned it and they were even ok after talking with

Crazy 4 grass and sjessen like this.
  5. Turf Tracer

the cc/power has nothing to do with it. Take a gas powered dedicated commercial hedge trimmer run it next to any batt hedger. The teeth run slower on batt units. This is done to boost run time. Until the batt tech improves they going to be slower than gas.

Some guys don’t care apparently but we do plenty hedging on weeklys. Not prepared to cut into productivity.

6. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

Turf.....you are mostly correct I think. I would say my battery hedge trimmer are 70% good enough....meaning in a lot of cutting situations, be it time of year or type of bush, they work good enough in that they don't slow me down really at all. But in the other 30% they are frustrating to use from poor blade speed but also poor blade quality. It seems that most of the battery market suffers from one or the other or both at times.

Therefore I still have kept my good selection of gas hedge trimmers for situations when only they will cut it so to speak.

Makita just dropped a model that has blade speeds of up to 4000 cpm and blade lengths of up to 30" but as most due suffers from inferior single sided cut blades and in there case only a 3/4" cut capacity.

Husky has the closest to just right ..24", blade speed 3700 ish, seemingly excellent commercial quality blades, 1" cut?, Etc but at a tremendous cost if you are not already heavily into their platform.

Jeremy

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  7. Turf Tracer

I’m using them 0% of the time until batt tech gets to point where teeth can move same rate as gas.

they feel like you using a dull knife to cut. Even light duty trimming ends up slower and more fatiguing. Minimal affect on very light duty trimming but during a day all that counter productive time you spend adds up.

8. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Chances are good I will buy this from home depot and have it shipped to my door. Actually, after looking, Amazon has them for about 30 bucks cheaper. $233 shipped with 2ah battery, charger, and the tool.

I don't get into much hedge trimming, but I do a few for customers and aIso do 14 massive evergreen shrubs around my house that I can get all of them done with my old greenworks battery powered hedge trimmer. How bout that. I also use the pole saw on ocassion. Not commercially, but they do work, light and handy. I'm not sure how much i spent on the pole saw and the trimmer but they were cheap. I have one battery that will get the job done.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  9. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

This thread is a prime example I don't get into more discussions here. There are a few people who will take any opportunity to hijack a thread and make any argument out of that has been the reason for closing numerous threads in the past.

We first started on which is best trimmer, then whether or not to run the guard, then who knows what else, now onto cordless hedge trimmers being a viable commercial option, after ignoring the moderator's warning against doing so...

10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

agreed...it's one thing to make some comments not completely on point, as long as, the discussion gets back on topic.

so, let's get back to the original discussion so we can keep this going

thanks

ARN Greencare and Crazy 4 grass like this.