1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

If you guys don't mind, we're talking about battery powered equipment. Please don't jam up the thread with your complaints. 4 or 5 of us are discussing cordless hedge trimmers now, as so often, discussions will move a little, although we're still talking batteries and i'm still learning.

No gloves likes this.
  2. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

Apologies for getting of topic.

On topic. Echo Gen 2 is probably the best stand alone battery trimmer right now.

But....if you plan to or might expand further into battery then I to is not your best choice.

Ego, Makita, Stihl, Greenworks Commercial, Husqvarna, Milwaukee all have deep product lines so may be better choices if expansion may be in your future.

Jeremy

3. rippinryno

Doesn't echo offer the same stuff as ego greenworks, stihl, makita, husq, milwaukee as far as lawn care goes?

In your opinion, why does it fall short for expanding?

also, don't apologize, none of us did anything wrong. some got somehow offended and he needs to just put people on ignore as not to get so easily offended with forum life. it's how it is, we're talking batts.

4. Work4Food

Trying to keep it short.....no Echo doesn't currently offer as good as selection as any of the other mentioned brands.

They off good to ok products but are falling behind. Good thing is they are big and can catch up.

Jeremy

5. rippinryno

Yeah, I hope that they do, because I like the platforms of their blowers, and trimmers, as far as ergo's and reliability go. I have always wondered whether the companies who specialize in the handheld lawn care units will win this battle or whether the battery companies will win. The cordless tools from the milwaukee's and the makita's of many years obviously have a huge step ahead when it comes to making the cordless setups. That being said, the lawn care companies have been making handhelds longer so I'd like to hope that they should adopt the battery technology and continue with what they are good at. I've always wondered what quality a mikita or milwaukee or dewalt trimmer would be.

6. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Senior Member

I peronsally tried a friends Milwaukee trimmer once, (forgot the voltage.) But it didn't have the torque of my gas units, and the throttle was hard to modulate low RPMs. It had a start RPM it seemed and I couldn't feather it like when needing to get around noisy gutters. Other than that I don't have anything to offer...

7. Work4Food

In the building trades you see a continuing trend of workers staying in one and only one battery platform and for good reason.......because of the battery cost involved.

Therefore asking who makes the best trimmer may involve more than just a "brand X" answer. So thinking platform vis individual toil may benefit some who might read this thread.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Just ordered the Echo battery trimmer from Amazon for $233.xx

It will be here Monday. May not use it right away for first time cuts but will use it extensively when the temps get up into the 80's and 90's.

No gloves, Crazy 4 grass and hort101 like this.
  9. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

I use the ego brand hedge trimmer and blower.i find dealing with home depot easier than amazon and in spring they put the ego brand on sale.if you decide echo isn't up to par check out the spring deals.

sjessen likes this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks! Will do. Wonder why HD quit stocking the Echo battery units.