1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think they were selling as well and low run time.remember a year or two ago they put all the 58v on clearance. Also ego kept improving and adding to lineups. Seems like they come out with better blower every year and improve trimmer

sjessen likes this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I am pretty well set on blowers and hedge trimmers so I will just go with the trimmer for now. When the hedge clipper is about used up I will look at battery units.

3. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Would stick to gas for heavy trimming. Not giving up my 25cc plus gas units. Battery best suited to weekly cuts/low growth at this point.

sure they will cut thick stuff but if you running no guard and even w/guard they going to be slower.

4. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Home depot still sells the echo battery. What makes ego do much better the 7ah battery? Echo only has 4ah availanle now right?

5. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

Not sure I understand your question?

Ego has a 2.5, 5 and 7.5ah battery with a 10ah on the way. Some Ego products will produce more power depending on battery size. Egos power head trimmer will do this.

Jeremy

6. rippinryno

Right, so like i said the only thing making them better is the power and battery right? Echos biggest battery is only 4ah. Whats the largest ego battery that will go into a trimmer without having to carry around and plug in separately?

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Downside to larger ah batteries is they weigh more.

8. rippinryno

Exactly, which is why i am really not looking dor some beast of a battery that will ad excessive weigjt. It seems the echo is my best option here since i dont want to carry around an accessory and i dont want a 15lb trimmer.

sjessen likes this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Those were my thoughts. Ordered the Echo. It is to be here Monday. Demoed it at GIE. Seemed to be suitable for normal trimming.

One thing that will extend battery life is the motor doesn't have to run when walking from tree to tree, etc. Maybe not a lot, but may add a few minutes. I will be happy with 45 minutes total run time. May also try .080 string to see if that helps some.

Doc8406, Crazy 4 grass and hort101 like this.
  10. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

When I bought the EGO 580cfm blower opted for 4X2.5ah batts instead of 2X 5ah. Cost more that way but the 2.5’s make tool much lighter.

ssme w/trimmers. All 2ah. Carry eXtrs batts.

No gloves and sjessen like this.