1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

I don't believe the Ego has more power than the Echo Gen 2.

All Ego batteries will work on all Ego tools as well as all Echo batteries will work on their tools.

The 2ah class batteries make for a nice trimmer weight.

Jeremy

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    sjessen likes this.
  2. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

How much lighter is a 2. 5 battery than a 5 amp? I have 9.0 batteries and even on my busiest trimming account, the weight doesn't bother me at all. I can't imagine a pound and a half less weight would make that big of a difference...

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  3. Work4Food

A little more that might help with why I run the brand that I run.

I was originally a stand alone trimmer/kombi to back everything up guy. I would have the kombi on the rack as an edger and expand from there as needed.

Ego offered basically the same thing that I was already running. The Ego Power Head unit, (Egos version of Kombi), is really an anomaly in the battery world in that it has a 2000 watt motor ..basically right there at 2hp. That power requires a larger battery to get decent runtime...the unit sells in kit form with a 5ah battery. With the 5ah battery it is FS130 heavy. The power head with string trimmer attatchment, because of the power it has, works real nice on some of the bigger places that I service in Spring on a biweekly basis. To get the weight out of my hands I went to running it with the backpack link. As I needed more batteries I went with 7.5ah to run on it as it weighs maybe a pound more than the 5ah. Don't think as the link like you think of a backpack blower that weighs 25#...this thing weighs like 9#...on your back it just not an issue. Even putting it on is easier due to much lower weight and mass.

So at that point I was running the 7.5ah with the powerhead trimmer w/backpack link and 5ah with the standard trimmer.

I currently am running both trimmers off the backpack link. I run solo and my trimmer rack is on the passenger side bedrail mounted above a top mount tool box. I keep my backpack on the passenger seat. As I go around passenger side I open the door and start putting on the backpack link as I am swinging it out. Grab the trimmer and plug in as I walk to start trimming. Takes maybe ten seconds.

The result is an exceptionally light in the hand string trimmer that last most of the day at normal resi accounts.

Again my system works for me and I still recommend the Echo as a stand alone string trimmer.

Jeremy

The Swamp Fox and hort101 like this.
  4. Work4Food

When Echo battery came out Home Depot advertised it as an exclusive product only offered by them. They had a similar deal with Ego tools.They had, I believe, a 5 year exclusive with Ego and I think a similar one with Echo. Ego and Echo can now be found at many retailers. It had to be a bean counter decision by Home Depot, either lack of sales or profit, that seems to be pushing out battery Echo from Home Depot.

Jeremy

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Lighter is always more productive, especially jogging around weekly mow/blows all day. Guys move faster w/ 10lb range trimmers.

use only 323/525 gas units or batt w/2ah. Both around 10lbs-12lbs. Add a couple pounds they start drag their azz. Have seen production numbers decrease when running heavier trimmers on weekly accounts

hort101 likes this.
  6. Derwood

What do those "decreased production" numbers look like. You said your 323/525 units are 10-12 lbs... Does that mean your 323 numbers are lower than your 525 production numbers? Are your guys trimming for hours on end, nonstop? Are your guys smaller, hs aged kids using these trimmers? Just trying to understand.

I can tell the diff between my gas Echo 210, and my Milwaukee with a 9 amp battery. Just not to the point where it would effect production. Again, just trying trying to understand

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

what trimmer you running with a 9.0 ah battery attached to it? Surely that's a 15lb trimmer after you put that thing on it.
    Crazy you can get a whole day out of a 7.5ah battery on your trimmers, that's impressive.

As i've said before the extra step of putting on a backpack and plugging it in at every lawn is essentially cancelling out the process of starting a gas unit.

Sounds like you have at least a couple thousand in your trimmer/backpack options.

I am still trying to figure this out. Home depot still sells the cordless in my area.

8. Derwood

Tool only is 9.9 lbs

Add 2.4lbs for a 9 amp battery
    Add 1.72lbs for a 4 amp battery.

The diff in weight between the bigger battery and small is negligible. Even if you toss on an even smaller battery.

How much does the backpack of batteries weigh. Is it total weight on your person (I suspect the backpack is heavier) or the weight your carrying with your arms???

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

I assume you're not talking about 56 or 58v here, sounds like you're using a 18v dewalt or something.

A 9ah battery in 56v would be 7 or 8 lbs. When you're talking about the 56 or 58v systems, the diff in weight between batteries is a factor.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Derwood