1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, yeah i can see how a little 18v setup wouldn't matter, but its a different approach with these large batteries. I think the echo 4.0 ah weights 4lbs. And I think the ego weighs 6.3lbs. you can see how much that would matter on the back end of a trimmer.

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

This is true hd had exclusive rights that deal is over so echo dealers are now carrying full battery lineThumbs Up

sjessen likes this.
  3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

But HD still have the battery units for sale. They've not been pushed out in my area.

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Last time they cleared them out they cleared the pas then they restocked with motor on the trimmer head version

I haven't heard that they are getting rid of echo cordless

5. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

That 9ah has to be a Milwaukee 18v battery.Much lighter that a 56/58 volt platform

I have majority push mow accounts. Tight mowing equals less trimming time. Very rarely do I ever do more than 12 accounts in a day...I don't just mow and blow.

If this helps you with the time thing....I have a battery always on my blower and always on my edger...time saved.

Definitely not cheap. I didn't start out where I'm at now but once I figured the benefits and that it could handle most of my needs I kept adding.

I am no expert on what your HD sells but at least at the one closest to me Echo no longer has the Battery exposure they once had. They still have a nice amount of gas though.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

1.5-2lb difference in a 9.6lb trimmer is 10-15% more weight and if it were gas you’d be in a new power class w/that weight

The added weight makes a difference if you hauling azz trimming light duty weeklys all day long.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  7. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

I certainly would not dispute that 10 to 15% more weight in a gas trimmer puts you in a different power class (I'll trust you on that). I am just saying for ME, an additional 1.5 pounds of WEIGHT on any trimmer (regardless of where that weight comes from) would not cause a drop in terms of productivity.

8. Turf Tracer

You might be surprised. Used to run the old 27cc Shin trimmers on weeklys. Switched to Husky/RM 323’s and trim times improved. Especially July/Aug in the heat guys just moved faster around the props.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The older I get the more I want the lightest trimmer possible that will still do the job.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Turf Tracer

Even the younger guys not immune to a few eXtra lbs on a trimmer running around props all day long. You just going to drag your azz a bit more after a few hrs.