1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree with the weight thing if a "few" extra lbs was as much as 4 or 5 lbs. Just not the 1.5lbs to 2lb from diff battery sizes - I personally think that's a stretch to argue smaller batteries makes one 15% more productive. That's all.

I mean if that small of a weight diff can effect productivity by as much as 15%, that's a little scary. Jeans and a sweatshirt is probably 3 or 4 lbs heavier than shorts and a t-shirt. Throw in another pound and a half of food and water at lunch time, and look out lol!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Sure but trimming is shifting weight carried by arms/shoulders. You grab something feels like a feather you just move faster. May make no difference first 5 houses of the day but by days end it will.

Pack light. Don’t carry unnecessary weight my motto on weekly accounts. If runtime that important to you then use bigger batt, takes seconds to swap a batt.

3. Derwood

You are correct, run time is important to me. I like not having to carry a spare battery on my person. Probably moreso than carrying a little bit of extra weight in a battery. By the end of a 12 account day, I am definitely tired. I just don't see things being noticeably easier because of omly a pound and a half. Could be because I'm huge ;)

4. Turf Tracer

lol.. I got bodybuilders on my crew. They the most delicate of the lot. Cry about working in rain, worried their stretch t's going to get mussed, need eat something every half hr and dont want strain or work unnecessary muscles.

Dont matter how big you are, you lift any weight repeatedly you become fatigued.

Crazy 4 grass, No gloves and hort101 like this.
  5. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

I carry the heaviest battery Ego makes with the lightest weight in my hands.....I win.

Jeremy

6. Derwood

TT -

Sounds like you really have things dialed in down to the last inch, pound, second, etc. Sounds like that all works great for your company. That's a good deal!

My operation requires more flexibility. Perhaps because I am a part timer??? There's no way I could worry about production dropping over a pound or two. I'd go crazy lol!! I'll just have to reach down and work a little bit harder to keep my production at an acceptable level for my business model :)

7. Turf Tracer

Once the big picture is perfected you start to focus on the details.

The Swamp Fox likes this.
  8. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

Is that a quote? Or is that an original?

Jeremy

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting. Some of the motor on head brands have a big arse motor that really looks and feels way too head heavy, like the Stihl for ex. The Echo version looks like the motor on the head is pretty compact and maybe not so head heavy??

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

It isn't. I have one. Almost the same weight and balance as the RedMax 22cc trimmer.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.