1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which cordless string trimmers are the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Listerek, Feb 5, 2020.

1. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Yes Its balanced motor on trimmer head is supposed to be 20% more power over pas version
    Have had pas version over 1 season use it for hedge trimmer attachment and string trimmer
    I prefer the slow setting longer run time and plenty off torque and speed full throttle

sjessen likes this.
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I'll have to look at both, if the PAS is even still available? One thing I noticed handling a Stihl battery trimmer at the dealer, is how the head was so damn heavy, I'm like "do I want to drag THAT around all day on a hot day?"

hort101 likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

With pas version the 4 amp battery made the trimmer battery end a little heavier with 2amp its a real treat for me
    With no battery both versions are featherlight

4. Work4Food

Work4Food LawnSite Member

I have put hundreds of hours of use with the Ego brand of battery tools....In saying that the newest Echo Gen 2 motor on ground would be my choice right now as the best stand alone trimmer available. Stihl just doesn't have the goods right now as far as battery trimmers go compared to other brands....goods meaning balance, runtime, power ect.

Jeremy

hort101 likes this.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Ego has piqued my interest a tad...when I pick up the Ego unit will the head drop to the floor like a lead rock like the Stihl? If so not interested....

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Was the battery in the stihl you tried?

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

No. But the head was heavy enough as is to make it a big turn off.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Just stopped by Home Cheapo. Held a few battery units, fortunately some of them had a battery installed so I got a sense of the balance. They DID NOT have Echo battery trimmers, said HD does not carry anymore. I'll have to look up a dealer for those. The Ego seemed the best of the bunch: one question....they have a carbon fiber shaft and a reg aluminum shaft which one better? I didn't mind the Ryobi or Milwaukee either, but both had trimmer heads that looked like they would be trashed the minute you try to use them day in/day out.