• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

which deck on the super z

str400ex

LawnSite Member
I have decided on a super z with the 31 kaw just not sure which deck the 60 or the 66 are there any pros or cons on the way each one cuts thanks Shawn

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
I personally liked the 66" better, so that is what I bought. I have the super z 31/66 with the flex forks. To me the only con is there is not as many after market blades for the 66. If I remember right the 66 has a faster blade speed.

If you decide not to get one for a few months send me a PM, because my needs have changed since 08 and I might be selling this one.:laugh::laugh:

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Tire width is 7" wider with the 66" deck but still has an extra inch on the trim side compared to the 60" deck. Both I would consider advantages with the 66" deck.

Also if you need a set of flex forks. I got a basically new set (30hrs or less) that I didn't care for on my 72" deck. Most guys like the flex forks but with my park system and 72" deck it was to bouncy for me.

OP
str400ex

str400ex

LawnSite Member
I was going to get the flex forks you guys think they would be to bouncy on the 66, i was just wondering if the cut was any better on either deck , how do they cut moist grass or thick grass thanks Shawn

Maple Wood

LawnSite Senior Member
I will add my 2 cents on this. The answer is that it depends!
I just bought a 31hp 60" super z because

I run other 60" machines and it is nice if the stripes match
I can use the 60" on all my accounts
All my blades match
I have enough HP for tall grass.
The 60" machine has a better resale because it is a more common and sought after size.

The wider wheel base would be nice on steep slopes.
The wider deck would be nice on average grass in open areas.

If you have no other machines that you run side by side and don’t let the grass get too big then go for the 66".

The blade tip speed is slightly faster on the 66" I wonder if this makes a big difference? One time I cranked up the governor on a 27hp Kohler 60' super z to 4200-4300 and that thing cut like crazzzzzzzzy!!!!!!!

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
I was going to get the flex forks you guys think they would be to bouncy on the 66, i was just wondering if the cut was any better on either deck , how do they cut moist grass or thick grass thanks Shawn
It seems like preference on the Flex Forks. One guy on here likes it with the 72" deck. Most like them on the 66" and smaller decks. If your yards are some what smooth you will like them. The park system I do is very bumpy and is why I didn't like them.

OP
str400ex

str400ex

LawnSite Member
I have rough yards would the 60 be better most of my yards are pretty big how is the cut on the 66 compared with the 60