• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Which is a better overall Toro mower?

Madmax3089

LawnSite Member
Which is a better overall Toro mower?
Hello, this is my first time posting, and I’m looking for a bit of help. I currently have two Toro self propelled, recycler, 22in. mowers. I don’t need two and would like to sell one, but don’t want to get rid of the wrong mower. So, I’m looking for advice on which one may be better than the other. Here’s what I’ve got; Both are Toro self propelled, 22in, recyclers. One is model number 20332 and serial number 310007137 manufacturer date 2010 and is the “self propelled personal pace” with the 7.0hp 190cc Briggs & Straton engine. Has a bag and chute for side discharge, “quick wash” and “quick change” options. I’d say 7 out of 10 overall condition. The other is model number 20370 and serial number 314040400 manufacturer date 2014. “Self propelled Fwd” has a 6.75hp 149cc Kohler engine. has the “quick wash” option and also has a bag and chute for side discharge. This one is about a 9 out 10 overall condition. The only real flaw with the personal pace is it can probably use two wheels up front, but that’s about it. Nothing really needed on the Kohler. Both mowers cut great and are in great shape. Like I said, I just don’t need two mowers and would hate to get rid of the better mower! Thanks in advance.

ncpete

LawnSite Senior Member
If you are mowing multiple lawns, doesn't hurt to have the backup mower, it really presents no cost to you at the moment. if you are mowing only your own lawn, which one do you like more? Bagging and quick wash are nice features to have. Also, the 149cc machine likely uses less fuel. Were it me, even on the one lawn I do now, mostly with a 20 year old Sabre 1438 by John Deere, I would keep the bagging machine for edges of the yard, to reduce the time spent with the weedeater.

OP
M

Madmax3089

LawnSite Member
If you are mowing multiple lawns, doesn't hurt to have the backup mower, it really presents no cost to you at the moment. if you are mowing only your own lawn, which one do you like more? Bagging and quick wash are nice features to have. Also, the 149cc machine likely uses less fuel. Were it me, even on the one lawn I do now, mostly with a 20 year old Sabre 1438 by John Deere, I would keep the bagging machine for edges of the yard, to reduce the time spent with the weedeater.
As far as the engine and driveline goes, Kohler or Briggs & Straton? One better than the other?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a couple older 20332 with a repowered 190cc.
Theyve cut alot of grass and still going wheels wear out and cable for pp

ncpete

LawnSite Senior Member
As far as the engine and driveline goes, Kohler or Briggs & Straton? One better than the other?
on this size mower, I don't think it matters so much. Again, it really matters on how many lawns you mow, for long term durability. Either way, they can also both be "re-powered" when the engine does finally expire.
I have done an awful lot of work with my Briggs powered Troy-bilt, (not a brand known for super-great durability) and at probably 12 years old, it no longer gives that "guaranteed start in two pulls" performance it did years ago, but I use it infrequently enough that I am okay with 3-4 pulls.

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
I agree with this! Just takes you to hit something hard enough to be down for the afternoon at least. Nice to be able to say darn it, I broke it and then put it up and pull out the other one to finish up. You hang around long enough and you will have one break right in the middle of the yard. :-(