Which LCO Are you? Important Poll.

Which one are you?

• Total voters

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
Are you the one that uses the best oil for your trucks, expensive parts, high test gas in your equipment or are you the cheap guy that uses low grade oil and gas and parts?

For me I use synthetic oil, best air filters, oil filters, brakes, and other parts. I NOTICE THE LCO'S THAT BUY ALL THE CHEAP STUFF AND GAS ARE THE ONES THAT END UP HUGE AND SUCCESSFUL DOWN THE ROAD THOUGH?? Hmmmmm...

Last edited:

I_am_a_beginner

LawnSite Member
I am very cheap, on everything, I buy the bottom range of everything in my business. -Truck: Ranger versus every re*tards with a F250/F350 pulling 1800kg.

-Mower: The best for the price versus buying a walker 31HP Kohler an

-Trimmer: The cheapest, with the best cc/weight ratio, good to trim and to use powersweeper

People buy the best of everything: F350, 6x14 enclosed trailer, 31HP walker/Scag, 40cc Stihl trimmer and they wonder why they make under 30k per year...

Why buy a F350 jesus christ... you mow lawn

Low overheard = you can bid less than everyone and make the same or more money. Or you can bid higher and make a lot more.
You don't lose all your margin into stuff that doesn't matter.

The famous Big truck big D*ick syndrom

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i wouldn't say i use the best stuff out there but i dont' use the worst stuff either...i use mobil 1 oil, 89 octane since my blower requires it....always try to use chevron or exxon gas and never go to cheap gas stations....i dont' go the extra mile ordering amsoil oil or anything....it's not readily available so i dont' use it...noone sells it and i'm not gonna go throught the trouble of having it shipped to me and it costs more anyways....but at the same time i dont' go use walmart supertech oil or anything either lol....i use factory parts when it comes to filters and such...i do agree with the above post as in i think alot of people use trucks that are too big and trailers as well...i guess they are needed if you have a big crew and multiple mowers but if you are solo you can get away with alot less and save alot of money...especially on gas lol.

OP
soloscaperman

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
True but if you use cheap stuff you have a better chance of it breaking which means more down time or even paying more down the road. My LCO friend uses cheap brakes and changes them every year but I buy Wagner high end brakes and that extra $30-$40 makes my truck stop faster and last an extra year or even more. I use 93 gas with echo synthetic oil and never had a problem with my hand helds for 4 years and they sit over the winter knock on wood though ha ha. Oh yeah and my buddy uses cheap gas for everything and his handhelds are usually having fuel related problems and he uses cheap 2 stroke oil as well. I think if you have a huge business with 5-10 mowers, 3 trucks then the savings does add up but for small to average operating business's it's worth buying high grade stuff.

Last edited:

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I used mid grade oil. Cheap gas. Good 2 stroke oil. Usually own parts. I would say average across the board I would be on the middle. There's no spot for it, so I won't vote.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
how about using the best or near, and finding it for low costs? does that coutn for both?

RLS24

LawnSite Bronze Member
I picked both. It depends on what I'm doing. If its something that I use everyday, like the Standers, trimmers, blowers, edgers, trailer or trucks, then yeah I use the best stuff because it HAS to work. Stuff that I don't really use on a regular basis, or things I know that I'm not gonna keep around much longer, then I got with the cheaper fix because its not worth it to me to have a ton of money in it if its not making me a ton of money. My 36"WB for example, needed a new tranny at the end of this year, it was slipping in 2nd gear, then 3rd and after a while it was inoperable. I replaced it with a cheaper used tranny. The engine burns some oil on cold startup, could prob use a few other little things fixed, but in reality I dont use it that much and I'd like to get a 36" Stander in the next year or so, so I just fixed it with the cheaper option because whats the point in putting a new tranny in it thats gonna last 4-5 years when I'm only gonna have the thing for another year? I'm not trying to be cheap, I just try to "prioritize my spending" I guess you could say. In this economy, I think everyone has to do that to an extent.

OP
soloscaperman

soloscaperman

LawnSite Gold Member
What I mean is are you cheap or do you go for quality either if it's expensive or at a deal?? Basically do you care about your stuff.