Which mini skid steer

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
I been looking at ditch witches. Local to oklahoma ( now they sold out) bigger the machine the better for us I believe?? Least a 750 up.... I landscape, move material, trees, trench for irrigation, grade and sod primarily. Pallets of mulch and every now and then maybe some pavers... size isnt to big of an issie8 as I can get into most backyard as long as it's not over 48". I've rented many Bobcats my 55 and 85. I feel even the 85 is somewhat underpowered at times.... I hate the small bucket they come with. They are to tall and you cant see your cutting edge.... so is bigger better?

KUMA01

LawnSite Bronze Member
^ uhhh not in our area Vermeer is top dog! Here is mine. yes get the biggest one you will not regret it you can actually pick up a sizable pallet of something without tipping or stress the hydros.

B95AAFE8-59E2-4D09-9E96-7E3E27C8DCDB.jpeg

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm sure the vermeer is a well built machine too. Bobcats I've thought the controls were way too stiff for my liking, at least the mt55 I've run.
Any of the big manufacturers would be a safe bet I think. Back when minis first came out many of them weren't that robust.
Definitely yes the bigger units are most useful. And diesel, I wouldn't mess with a gasoline unit the motor is only good for 1000 hrs or less.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
ditch witch has a great product. we recently got a 1550. if this is the ONLY machine you're going to have try your best to get that. you'll be able to carry to sod pallets and mulch with ease. We also have a 755 which still has advantages over the bigger unit, namely getting into smaller spaces.

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
ditch witch has a great product. we recently got a 1550. if this is the ONLY machine you're going to have try your best to get that. you'll be able to carry to sod pallets and mulch with ease. We also have a 755 which still has advantages over the bigger unit, namely getting into smaller spaces.
It is the only machine without renting.... I was looking at the 850 but not sure it could do sod etc....

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
if you can swing it the 1550 will be a great investment... but at $50k it's a big investment. ours has a weight kit and with 2 good sized guys on it it'll pick up a pallet of pavers, but just, and you need to be a pretty calm operator to not bugger it up. that said wet ground or non firm ground it won't do it do don't even think it will. On a large hardscape job i'll still take the caterpillar. small 1-4 pallet deals no need for the big skid. also the trencher for the 1550 is more expensive than the smaller units because it has to be able to take the weight of the machine (i think it's close to 5k) pulling against it. our sk755 is about 1/2 that weight i think. won't hurt to try one out if you really want to get into installs but you need to have work lined up day after day to justify imho

IMG_3273.jpg

UniqueLandscapes1

LawnSite Member
I have the 1550 also. Had it about 1.5 years now and can’t imagine work without it. Depending on your work of course, I think this is one of the best single purchases a company can make. I was thinking like someone mentioned above, trying to only buy 1 piece of equipment that could do most everything I wanted. This certainly does for the most part with all the different attachments. Of course it’s nice to have multiple skids and a mini excavator but most companies aren’t in that place to justify that. This single piece of equipment though is expensive but very valuable.

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Indo landscape installs. Not much hardscape.... but I do or want the capacity to lift pallets of sod. About 2k-2500lbs....the price point is high!!! I'd love to find a good used one but I've yet to see any... another option may be is to just buy a used smaller one then also purchase a small mini x..