Which mower is easier on your back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cassidy Cuts, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts LawnSite Member
    from MD

I am starting to have back problems when sitting on my ztr. I have a toro z master with a suspension seat, but it is from 2012 and I am sure that the newer suspension seats are better. Even going very slow, I can only mow for about an hour or so before I'm in a decent amount of pain. This did not bother me much last year, but after this week (the first week of mowing this year) I have been in some pain. I was pretty set on getting a new TT2 but now I am just focused on what mower will be easiest on my back. Which mower set up would you guys recommend? Will a TT2 with the z glides in the front be good enough? Or should I look at something like a lazer z with the MyRide suspension platform? I have also considered getting a stander but I mow large yards that are on average 2 acres so I don't think I could stand for that long. Any help would be great. I have been mowing full time for 15 years but am barely 30 and I would like to keep doing this for a long time to come.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If ride is most important for you now, get a Ferris.

3. DLL LLC

DLL LLC LawnSite Member

Just a thought....have you tried a doughnut pillow to sit on? I did that one time when i threw my back out. Helped a decent amount. Just took a lil bit to get used to. Felt like I was gonna fall off, lol

Cam15 likes this.
  4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

61" V-ride. No more back issues. Realistically at 30 years old and in this business you should be healthy enough to stand 40 minutes to run over 2 acres.

sjessen, zlandman, Cam15 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I have back problems that flare up now and then and a stander makes them much, much worse. It just depends on where your back is injured and what the injury is. Low back- forget about the stander.

sjessen, dave_14385 and Doc8406 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts LawnSite Member
    from MD

My back pain is in my lower back and si joints. ImEven sitting in the car for more than 30 mins makes it start to hurt. This has only become a problem recently. However, walking does not hurt at all. I walked 6 miles this past sunday and had zero back problems. Standing in place may be different though. I dont know since i havent stood in place for a long period of time recently. Im hoping maybe i could get something like a ferris or the exmark myride and hopefully it will help

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I can walk without hurting my back. I walk a mile at a very fast pace every day. Standing still, especially on hard floors like cement or tile, and 30 minutes is all I can stand anymore unless I bend over and put my hands on the floor and then arch backwards a bit to relieve the tightness.

Anyone that ever has any back pain should demo machines to see what works for you. My experience on a stander was that it made my back hurt and my Z never does, and mine isn't the best riding mower made for sure. You may have a different experience than I did with a stander even with the same low back issue.

dave_14385 and Cam15 like this.
  8. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

nothing is the cure for everyone. Standing can make it worse in people, though I would say with decent supporting musculature, standing is by far better biomechanically than sitting. But that doesn't mean everyone will feel better doing that.

That said, going from sitting to standing has made my 2 acres a hell of a lot more fun to mow. My back did hurt after mowing sitting, and that was rare for me. Right SI joint baby, would feel like a knife was in there. Now, nothing. Like is normal for me. I get done and feel like I could do it again.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

Let someone else do the cutting! LOL Check lawn mower suspension seats on ebay. The seats today are much better but they also cost more. Good luck with your back!

10. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Silver Member

I've had good luck with the stander....But you've got to couple that with ab exercises. Two things though: I'm/was a weekend warrior and I stand up on my feet for about 6 hours a day at work.

Best,

~TW

Doc8406 and Cam15 like this.