1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Which mower is easier on your back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cassidy Cuts, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

I often/usually have to switch naturally just because of the layout of property itself.

EricC likes this.
  2. dave_14385

dave_14385 LawnSite Senior Member

3. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Was not a commercial success but about 10-12 years ago Ferris had a compact ztr with a motorcycle style seat. It was kinda like a walk behind with a foot platform and bike seat. I bought a 48" w/730 kaw iirc, used pretty cheap. Weight was distributed between feet, knees and butt. Well built mower I don't remember Ferris model # but Snapper Pro sold them rebadged and theirs was SX75 I think. I'm surprised they weren't more successful but the controls were pretty twitchy, don't try to get too close to the fence until you've practiced. Bet you could find one used in good shape with some digging.

Cam15 likes this.
  4. dave_14385

dave_14385 LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris is2000
    Ferris is3200
    Ferris is5100
    I used to think my is2000 was comfortable. Then I thought my 3200 was comfortable.

Now I bought 1 used is5100 diesel. And just bought the second one this year And couldn't brag enough about them. .lol..
    I still have all my machines plus a stand on.
    Just my two cents.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Cam15 likes this.
  5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

The 5100 is a beast. You dont realize how big it is until you see it in person. It makes the 3200z look like a toy. I always wanted one. I bet the ride is alot better since the size of it

Cam15 likes this.
  6. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

That was the EVOLUTION, I've got a 48. Love it, best riding mower I've got. It's like being on a dirt bike over the rough areas, just put the weight on the feet. Overall though, my back likes my walkbehind, and the Toro TruTrac sulky, best out there on a big walkbehind.

Valk and Cam15 like this.
  7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

I'm w/ sehitchman re: a WB. Unless one has other joint issues like a hip/knee/ankle, then walking is the least jarring vs a stand-on or rider.
    But, it's not like a WB doesn't have its pitfalls, because one has to pay extra attention differently - noting obstacles in advance since they become obscured by the mower.

8. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I really wish somebody would come up with those again.. it would be perfect for me.. my old ass legs are to tired at the end of the day for a stander, but I like those vs the ztr’s.. .. besides wright, I know they have them, just not fond of wright

9. OP
    OP
    Cassidy Cuts

Cassidy Cuts LawnSite Member
    from MD

Your not fond of wright ztrs or wright in general? I was gonna demo a wright stander and a scag v ride 2.

10. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Wright in general...