Which Mower Should I Buy?

What is the best brand of Zero Turn Riding Mower?

• Scag

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Hustler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toro

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Exmark

• John Deere

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Bad Boy

• Dixie Chopper

• Dixon

• Other

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

GoPappy

LawnSite Bronze Member
If I was cutting 10-12 acres every week, I'd for sure get a 72" deck unless I had some tight spaces that it wouldn't fit into. On the other hand, a 60" with a big motor that can really hustle can be faster than a 72" that's underpowered. And that's especially true if you have steep hills. You need a big motor to power a 72" deck through thick grass up a steep hill.

Diesels are great, but they are more expensive. Since you're on a budget, it's probably not an option.

I completely agree with 13Razorbackfan's recommendation of using the $3,000 for a downpayment and getting a new mower. If you have serious hills, get the most powerful one you can afford.

Finally, just as a side note, that Hustler mower you linked to looks like it has been beat completely to hell and all the way back.

OP
B

BigRig_88

LawnSite Member
Don't pay attention to the JD MSRP website price...if you are in the US you should be able to get one for $8500 give or take. I would go down to your local dealer and get some hard prices.

I had decided to buy a knew mower with a down payment and finance at 0%. So over the past week I have went to every dealer of every brand in my area. I ended up only getting quotes on the units that I was interested in as followed.

John Deere:
Z930m 60" 25.5hp Kawasaki $8,995

Z950 60" 27hp Kawasaki $9,500

Z970R 60" 35hp for $11,895

3032E with Loader 19,795

GM-2072R 6' Grooming Mower $2,995

Hustler:
Super Z HyperDrive 60" 36hp Vanguard $13,299

Super Z 60" 27hp KawasakiFX850 $11,499

The hustler dealer also had Ventracs which were nice and interesting but extremely expensive and overboard for what I need I think.

Scag:
Turf Tiger II 61" 26ho Kawasaki $13,999

Turf Tiger II 61" 31hp Kawasaki $14,699

Turf Tiger II 61" 35hp Vanguard $11,999

Ferris:
IS3200 61" 35hp Vanguard $11,699

Kubota:
ZD 1211 60" Diesel $13,800

Z421 60" $6,999

OP
B

BigRig_88

LawnSite Member
I Agree with this^^
Try to get a 72in deck if you can. It might not be great on slopes, but it sounds like the land is pretty open (only 9 trees??!)10-12 acres is a bit of mowing!

I was shooting for a 72" but I keep hearing how a 60" with the same HP can run circles around the 72" just because of the bog down and the more power it takes to turn the 72". I was in a round about way told that straight from the dealers. I figured if I ever want the 72" later I could just buy the 72" deck since the same units come in 60" or 72" or just get a tractor later.

Haha OK let me explain. Only 9 (actually 10 I missed one) tree's that I have to mow and edge around in the yard around the house and shed. There are thousands of trees on property but I don't mow there lol I keep the woods for Wildlife Management.

Last edited:
OP
B

BigRig_88

LawnSite Member
If I was cutting 10-12 acres every week, I'd for sure get a 72" deck unless I had some tight spaces that it wouldn't fit into. On the other hand, a 60" with a big motor that can really hustle can be faster than a 72" that's underpowered. And that's especially true if you have steep hills. You need a big motor to power a 72" deck through thick grass up a steep hill.

Diesels are great, but they are more expensive. Since you're on a budget, it's probably not an option.

I completely agree with 13Razorbackfan's recommendation of using the $3,000 for a downpayment and getting a new mower. If you have serious hills, get the most powerful one you can afford.

Finally, just as a side note, that Hustler mower you linked to looks like it has been beat completely to hell and all the way back.

You're correct about the 60" mowers with high HP being as fast as a 72". The dealers were saying the same thing you are. However I haven't actually witnessed this in person so I have no proof that it is true just what the majority of experts say.

I did look at a few diesels. They were more expensive for the most part except that Kubota ZD1211 60" diesel was the same price as the top of the line Hustler and Scag gas mowers.

Yeah I was set on doing the down payment and payments with 0% interest. I had my mind made up I was going to do this and was leaning toward scag or a tractor.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hustler mower I posted. I thought it looked bad as well but it's good to hear other's opinions to confirm if my concern's were legitimate.

OP
B

BigRig_88

LawnSite Member
So now after all of that I am back with my new mower. Went and picked it up this morning. I bought if from a dealer who was about 2 hours from me. It is a 2015 Scag Turf Tiger 61"V Deck 35hp Vanguard with 376.5 hours on it. It's the mower in the link below.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Used-Scag-61-Turf-Tiger-STT61V35BVAC-zero-turn-rider-/302288865870?hash=item4661d20a4e:g:AnsAAOSwWWxY919d&_trkparms=pageci%3Abd5079a9-27ae-11e7-b503-74dbd180ea96%7Cparentrq%3A97e04d0515b0a991b8405443ffff80df%7Ciid%3A1

I called the dealer to get more information about it. The dealer said the gentleman who traded it in owns a commercial business and trades in his units every 2 years. The dealer also said they have went through the unit as a scag dealer and found no mechanical issues.

So I drove up to look at in person. When I got there and walled into the shop with the dealer there was another sales gentleman showing other mowers and they were asking about this unit and he was telling them it was on hold and when I walked in he said thats probably the guy coming to get it. The dealer said 5 people had inquired about the unit since I requested a hold on it. The dealer said they have worked with the gentleman who trades these units in before and he is very good about keeping up with his equipment. The dealer said he has a building kind of like a pole barn with stalls that he parks each individual mower in. There is a set of shelves in the side of each stall with parts that go to each unit and over top of the each mower is a shelf with gas for each individual unit. I test drove the machine and it ran great and I even mowed with it and the cut was clean. The only thing I could find noticeably wrong was the knob on the seat to adjust the weight of the rider wont turn, the stickers are starting to rub off, and right where the top of the deck and side of the deck come together the paint is starting to chip off. I was willing to overlook these issues for the right price so it came back with me.

My plan is to keep this mower in good shape and also get a tractor within the next couple years. The tractor will take the mowing down to approximately 5 acres of mowing with zero turn and 6 acres with the tractor. Farm animals are also in the future so that will cut down on mowing as well.

I'll post some updated pictures of my new to me scag tomorrow.

Last edited:

GoPappy

LawnSite Bronze Member
That sounds like a heckuva good deal on a top of the line mower. You won't be wishing for more power with the 35hp Vanguard. It will drink a little gas, but that's no big deal if you're just mowing your own property.

Congrats on the new machine.

GoPappy

LawnSite Bronze Member
By the way, if the knob for the weight adjustment on the seat is just stuck from non-use, hit the threads with some Fluid Film or some Kano Kroil. Might have to do it a couple of times over 2-3 days, and keep working at it, but it should loosen up.

The deck height knob on my Kubota BX tractor was that way when I got it. A little Fluid Film fixed it up.

Brules

LawnSite Senior Member
Nice buy man, is that liquid cooled engine? You won't be disappointed!

Give her a nice bath and some spray wax or F11 and she will look like new.

Did dealer change all the fluids/service it for you? New blades? If not do that and that thing will run for 1000 hours!

Post some pics when you get her home!

OP
B

BigRig_88

LawnSite Member
That sounds like a heckuva good deal on a top of the line mower. You won't be wishing for more power with the 35hp Vanguard. It will drink a little gas, but that's no big deal if you're just mowing your own property.

Congrats on the new machine.

Thanks

OP
B

BigRig_88

LawnSite Member
By the way, if the knob for the weight adjustment on the seat is just stuck from non-use, hit the threads with some Fluid Film or some Kano Kroil. Might have to do it a couple of times over 2-3 days, and keep working at it, but it should loosen up.

The deck height knob on my Kubota BX tractor was that way when I got it. A little Fluid Film fixed it up.

I'll try to put some fluid film on the grooves of the knob. It's turned to 280lb the farthest you can go and it is really tight to turn. The knob seems to be sealed on the outside so I'm figuring the seat flips up so you can service the knob!?!

Top Forums