1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which mower to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little acorn, Jul 13, 2007.

1. little acorn

little acorn LawnSite Member

I am looking for a new ZTR and am a little confused on what to buy. I have just purchased 15 acres in Tn. 5 acres treed,6 acres pond and hayfield leaving about 4 acres for mowing. I am semi retired so I do not want an expensive commercial unit-I have used a Diesel Kabota front deck 4 years ago nice unit but not for me this time.
    My problem is I am not in a position to look at any mowers. I live in the big city and the only mower company I have seen is JD.HD has a CC RZT but I want something stronger. My daughter and her husband will be purchasing the mower and using it for the first year as they will be living on the property. I will have to rely on them to make a wise purchase but I am trying to narrow the field down.I started looking at the $3000-4000 group of mowers but was not totally happy they included
    Ariens Zoom 2350 50" deck 23 Hp Kohler EZT transmission $3649
    Country Clipper Jayzee 2248BSJ 48" deck 22Hp B&S EZT transmission $ ?
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 50 50" deck 20 Hp Kohler ZT 2800 transmission $3999 Dixon Speedster 44 44" deck 20Hp Kohler EZT transmission $3900
    John Deere Z425 48" deck 23 Hp B&S Kanzaki transmission $3900
    Toro Z5020 50" deck 23 Hp kohler not sure of transmission $3499
    I then moved on to a second group $3999-$6000 and have narrowed it down to these models
    Country Clipper Jayzee 2248BSJ 48" deck 22Hp B&S EZT transmission $ ? Country Clipper Jayzee Pro 1952KAJ-sr355 52" deck Kawasaki 19HP
    ZT2800 transmission $ ? Cub Cadet Z-Force 50 50" deck 20 Hp Kohler ZT 2800 transmission $3999 Cub Cadet Z-Force 60 60" deck 23 Hp Kawasaki ZT2800transmission $4999
    Exmark LCT18BV483 48" deck 18 Hp Vanguard Hydrogear 10cc trans $5999
    Hustler Fastrack 54 54 " deck 21 Hp Kawasaki ZT 2800 Transmission $5I99 Engines are all fairly comparable
    Exmark has a better transmission
    All have foot assist deck
    All are available locally
    I do like the 'joystick' and flip up deck on Country Clipper
    Of these what would be my best purchase?
    How reliable are Cub Cadets?
    I am kind of leaning in the following direction first to last
    1. Hustler
    2. Jayzee
    3. Cub Cadet 60
    4 Jayzee Pro
    5 Exmark
    Thanks for any help

2. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

jazee pro has the heavy 2800 izt units in it! Personally I would step up to the charger or even better the bosss!

3. little acorn

little acorn LawnSite Member

Thankyou wrebelmachine for your input. After a lot of thinking and rethinking we decided to go up to a commercial mower as we realized that the lawn area is possibly larger than I first thought. The JD deeler seems to be on the ball better than any other deeler and provides good service so we decided to go with a JD 737. As I don't live in the area yet I am trusting that my daughter and her husband have made the right choice.