Which of these deals is better scag or ferris wb

Shoptech

LawnSite Member
About to pull the trigger on a new walk behind. Have to narrowed down to the ferris or the scag do to dealer locations or dealer reputation.

First deal is a 2021 scag swzt 48” with the 15hp Kawasaki and electric start. Out the door price of $5199

second deal is last years model ferris fw35 with the 20.5 Kawasaki for $7000

third is a 2021 ferris fw25 36” for $5499

Im currently leaning towards the scag mainly due to the price gap. The dealer is a stand up place but the local ferris dealer is also great. Is the quality of the ferris worth the jump of 2k? Or if the price is the deciding factor would i be better off to settle with the 36” fw25 ferris over the scag. I do plan to run a proslide xt behind the mower.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shoptech

LawnSite Member
What size do you really need? Comparing prices on a 48 to a 36 is not a comparison.
The 48” would definitely be nice. I have not thought to ask the local dealer the price on the fw25 woth a 48” deck maybe that would be more of a i line comparison compared to the scag.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
The other thing is you're going to want more than 15HP if youre going to be dragged around on a proslide.

What is your use going to be? Mowing multiple lawns? Just yours? If you can haul around a 48 and that fits the lawns you cut, I wouldn't go to a 36 just to save money. Your losing money in time and efficiency using a 36 if you could be using a 48.

OP
S

Shoptech

LawnSite Member
The other thing is you're going to want more than 15HP if youre going to be dragged around on a proslide.

What is your use going to be? Mowing multiple lawns? Just yours? If you can haul around a 48 and that fits the lawns you cut, I wouldn't go to a 36 just to save money. Your losing money in time and efficiency using a 36 if you could be using a 48.

just my personal properties for now. Once I purchase something i do plan to pick up a few yards as a side job With a mindset of potentially growing that to full time. Hence the 36” would get me started and be a great small yard or gate mower in the future. Also i live right in the foothills and the majority of properties have some fairly steep slopes. A walk behind is almost a must have where im located. And then plan purchase a larger 52” or so stander or sit down if it does lead to that.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
What kind of lawns are you mowing? Hilly, flat? Boone is in the mountains, right? If you want productivity in a small package, you may consider a 36"stand on.

OP
S

Shoptech

LawnSite Member
What kind of lawns are you mowing? Hilly, flat? Boone is in the mountains, right? If you want productivity in a small package, you may consider a 36"stand on.
I have considered a 36” stander but both of my personal properties have hills i would not want to cut on a stander. Which is the reason i was leaning to a walk behind for my first commercial mower. However the first 4 accounts im fairly confident i can pickup a stander would be fine on.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Yes the ferris fw35 is a much better mower then a swzt. 25% more power, full commercial hydros, much heavier duty frame.

I looked at many machines when I bought my FW35, the scag included. I chose the ferris as it blew the compition from every one else out of the water. I also found a leftover for a smokin deal on it. Paid $4.8k for a leftover FW35 with 9 hrs on it.

OP
S

Shoptech

LawnSite Member
I did contact my ferris dealer back this morning. I could get a fw25 48” deck with a 19hp for $5800. He also threw out he could get me a z1 with a 23hp vanguard 48” for $7800.

Top Forums