1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which plate compactor

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by brichter14, Apr 22, 2016.

1. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Its amazing how all those ancient roads got built without all this equipment. Your way might be faster but it isn't a requirement...

hort101 and F4rm3rj03 like this.
  2. F4rm3rj03

F4rm3rj03 LawnSite Senior Member

Any compactor can do with time when provided the right conditions for successful compaction. Spend some time getting the aggregate properly moist (easy to over do it!) and watch your lift depths. Gravel selection matters too I think. I like very angular gravels. Never delt with any density tests.... But when the compactor jumps a bit on the gravel and the edger nails hammer in as if I was driving them in timber I suspect I did something right.... This with a compactor similar to the 1550 but made by a now sold company Stone.

If I were in the market for another compactor my main must have would be a Honda engine if available. Have had great performance out of the GX/GXV series. Problem free, exhaust seems cleaner, and runs longer using less gas compared to any other make of small gas engine I've experienced!

As for compactor mat we got ours from Pavetech. Cut to fit and drill holes for mounting onto plate. I think it was less than $100. Nice to have when using on fancy pavers like mini Arbels, some other fancy textured stone, or clay pavers. Flat top stones like Hollandstone I prefer to raw dog it (no protection/mat).

hort101 likes this.
  3. earthly

earthly LawnSite Senior Member
    from IOWA

Are you saying you have 8 compactors with 12,000 lbs of centrifugal force or do you recommend 8-12,000 pounds of force. We are looking at getting a large compactor is the reason I’m asking.