1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

which secondary mower to get? stand on or walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by lawnpro@home, Nov 6, 2019.

1. lawnpro@home

lawnpro@home LawnSite Member

after my first year in business, i am upgrading to better equipment, i settled on a scag cheetah 52" with a kawasaki engine, which cost about 9,000, and the trailer cost me about 2400$, so i was on a small budget for my secondary mower for smaller jobs, either a bradley 48"hydro walk behind,(3,500$) and a 36" stand on for the same price, any suggestions? i demoed both and could go either way.

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Id go with the 48in walk behind, if we have another spring like last year you want something that isn't going to sink and tear up the yard as much when wet.

3. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

i just have a stand on and i agree with cam15 it would have been nice to have a walk behind for the wet spring. i do love my stand on tho being solo its a very versitle machine but i can see where having a walk behind could help during wet conditions.

4. OP
    OP
    lawnpro@home

lawnpro@home LawnSite Member

thank you

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Get them both.

You can't run a solo route without 3 mowers and 4 trimmers.

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

:laugh:

you forgot the lifted diesel truck and 18' enclosed wrapped trailer with a dressing/changing room and Sat phone capability!

7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Not me I keep things simple with a Prius and a push mower. I save 100k in gas a year!

8. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Wb.there is nothing a stander can do that a equal size wb can't. Wide open areas the stander may be slightly faster but very minimal, and put the wb on a steep hill or soft ground and it will easily make up the difference.
    I'd get a 36" wb instead of the 48 though. 4" isn't a huge difference from the scag, and I'd want the better access to small gates.

9. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea
    In fact you save so much in gas you actually have to pay taxes on the profit the not buying gas makes you, right?