1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which sized Allan block to use?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mitty87, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I am building a little wall at my house kind of as practice for doing some curved walls and cuts. It will be 2 blocks high, and there are a couple spots where there are some rightish curbs, not quote horse show but almost. Can I get away with large curves using the standard 18" wide block or should I be using the junior or jumbo at 7 and 8" wide? Thanks

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Junior, lite, classic, jumbo, they’re all the same block
    They mix together to make different patterns like Ashlar blend

If you want to make better circles or curves and aren’t going to go very high/not retaining much... you can try the Allan block court yard block

3. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are doing curves do the halfs. those ab classics dont like to turn without cutting the bottom lip off. Good block tho.

4. brichter14

Oh and the best thing about AB block is the drains that they sell with them. They are awesome.

upload_2018-11-13_15-6-33.png

Doc8406, wjjones and hort101 like this.
  5. Mitty87

Thanks I think I will mix the halves and fullsize like in your pics.

6. Mitty87

image.jpeg
    Almost there/. There will be quite a bit of cutting of the caps. I haven't really done a lot of cutting caps but for the angles would I be better off with a table saw instead of one of the cutoff saws I own?

hort101 likes this.
  7. brichter14

A table saw is better but we do it with a cutoff saw. I have the saw shoe on mine that makes cutting vertically easier.

On the curves it’s easier to space a full size cap away from the cap next to it and then set the cap your cutting on top of both and mark lines from the underside of the cap.

Hard to explain via text.

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  8. brichter14

9. Mitty87

I think I understand. this way there would be 2 cuts on that one you marked as "cut"? Ill be using the smaller 12" caps as my supplier couldn't get me the larger size in sandstone

10. brichter14

Yes exactly.