Which String Trimmer Line is Best?

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I know that Oregon offers many different trimmer lines. After reading reviews with many different opinions still leaves me questioning, which is really the best.

Some say Oregon 22-895 Magnum Gator Line, others swear by another. Others love Echo Black Diamond, someone else swears by Rotary Vortex.

With that being said I would like to know if there is any general consensus which trimmer line is best?

I know there are still many variables to which is best for different applications, general weekly maintenance, tall thick dense grass, tough weeds, brush clearing, etc.

I'm trying to see if there is one line that is the most popular that meets the most needs for the most people.

Thanks for your input.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Ugly line or rino line same thing just by different stores. Great for all uses. There's a lot of threads on this if you do a search.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
My vote is for the Oregon gator line. Great all around performance with very little line breaks. I do a lot of trimming around rocks and boulders and that's where this stuff is topshelf. It also feeds great even if it gets twisted when winding.

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
I will agree ugly line or rino tuff is a good all purpose line. for extreme duty Oregon magnum is hard to beat but too brutal for delicate work. for that echo black diamond is execellent. I gave all 3 of these a good test this year. I keep trimmers loaded with all three and just grab the one with the right line for the job at hand.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
It's almost in the same category as a pillow imo. Whichever one you think is more comfortable (yes they do have a "feel" to them, and does the best job for you). But that being said probably the crappiest I've used was fireline which the concept sounds good. Hard thin inner core with a more flexible outer covering. This sheet would snap all the time. I tried it on more than one occasion. Hated it

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I will agree ugly line or rino tuff is a good all purpose line. for extreme duty Oregon magnum is hard to beat but too brutal for delicate work. for that echo black diamond is execellent. I gave all 3 of these a good test this year. I keep trimmers loaded with all three and just grab the one with the right line for the job at hand.
Can you explain what you mean by saying that the Oregon Magnum is to brutal for delicate work. I don’t understand. Thanks

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
it cuts everything in its path instantly. with a soft line like desert vortex or echo black diamond you have more control around delicate plants and vinyl siding and plastic fence etc. if you trim around metal fence and stones and bricks- gator magnum is better for this as its far more durable . the rino tuff yellow sold at home depot is a happy medium compromise line. usually it takes some experimenting till you find a line that fits the majority of the trimming tasks you encounter.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
it cuts everything in its path instantly. with a soft line like desert vortex or echo black diamond you have more control around delicate plants and vinyl siding and plastic fence etc. if you trim around metal fence and stones and bricks- gator magnum is better for this as its far more durable . the rino tuff yellow sold at home depot is a happy medium compromise line. usually it takes some experimenting till you find a line that fits the majority of the trimming tasks you encounter.
I only cut my own property, approximately 10 acres of grass on farm around fields and ditch banks. I run a Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72 in. 37 hp. Vanguard. I run string trimmer along ditch banks and around pounds, usually heavy dense grass. I do a lot with string trimmer using 1 hand cutting down slopes of ditches. Right now I’m using Black Diamond in an Echo 2620T which cuts like a razor. The vibration of the 2620T is terrible. May return it and try a regular 2620 or a Stiyl FS94R. Any advice or opinion.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I know that Oregon offers many different trimmer lines. After reading reviews with many different opinions still leaves me questioning, which is really the best.

Some say Oregon 22-895 Magnum Gator Line, others swear by another. Others love Echo Black Diamond, someone else swears by Rotary Vortex.

With that being said I would like to know if there is any general consensus which trimmer line is best?

I know there are still many variables to which is best for different applications, general weekly maintenance, tall thick dense grass, tough weeds, brush clearing, etc.

I'm trying to see if there is one line that is the most popular that meets the most needs for the most people.

Thanks for your input.
Black Diamond is the best I’ve ran. It doesn’t last as long as I’d like but cuts quick and clean. I’ve ran the Vortex and it cuts quick and lasts a bit longer than the black diamond but it’s not nearly as clean as the black diamond. I run a Husqvarna 525 with a speed feed head and I can run that thing all day. Vibration is minimal, tons of power and it’s light. Take the guard off and you can run almost 1’ of line without losing noticeable power. Works great for trimming drainage ditches, pond berms, or just normal everyday trimming.

K&L Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
For the cleanest cut the RedMax Cable Twist is the best I've used. For durability the Gator square line is the best but it doesn't leave a very clean cut. The best do it all line for me is the Stihl CF-3 Pro. It's long lasting and cuts great.