Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am searching for an awesome trimmer that will last me a long time. I have seen a little bit about the Tanaka line. From what I am reading, they sound pretty impressive. I do not know of any dealers near by. I live in Fairview, NC 28730. Are there any dealers close? What model would you recommend to me? (taking into consideration the models listed below and my actual need). Can you tell me the overall length of the trimmer? For example the Stihl is almost 71 inches long, including the motor. Also, any recommendations where to buy. There is a 280 listed on ebay with free shipping. Is that a good place to buy? Would the warranty still be honored if I purchased it on ebay? Also just saw a 2501 for $269 with free shipping!

Stihl FS 80 $319.93 w/tax
Stihl FS 90 $319.93 w/tax

Shindaiwa T242X $309.00 shipped
Shindaiwa T261X $350.00 shipped

I have about 1/2 acre that I have to trim instead of mow because of the incline. It is mostly weeds with some tall grasses. I just want the best machine for my money! I am 6'2", so I would like a "normal" size trimmer. I think an extended shaft maybe overkill for me. The Stihl and the Shindy t261 felt pretty comfortable as far as the length is concerned.

Thanks!
Gary

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi there, I am searching for an awesome trimmer that will last me a long time. I have seen a little bit about the Tanaka line. From what I am reading, they sound pretty impressive. I do not know of any dealers near by. I live in Fairview, NC 28730. Are there any dealers close? What model would you recommend to me? (taking into consideration the models listed below and my actual need). Can you tell me the overall length of the trimmer? For example the Stihl is almost 71 inches long, including the motor. Also, any recommendations where to buy. There is a 280 listed on ebay with free shipping. Is that a good place to buy? Would the warranty still be honored if I purchased it on ebay?

Stihl FS 80 $319.93 w/tax
Stihl FS 90 $319.93 w/tax

Shindaiwa T242X $309.00 shipped
Shindaiwa T261X $350.00 shipped

I have about 1/2 acre that I have to trim instead of mow because of the incline. It is mostly weeds with some tall grasses. I just want the best machine for my money! I am 6'2", so I would like a "normal" size trimmer. I think an extended shaft maybe overkill for me. The Stihl and the Shindy t261 felt pretty comfortable as far as the length is concerned.

Thanks!
Gary
Currently I am in field test with the extended reach 280 and I am 5' 10" , personally I cannot imagine life without this trimmer! After about a week of using it and getting used to the feel of the length, you won't know how you did it before with the shorter shafts.

It is the best trimmer for inclines because it gives you the ability to stand straighter and is far easier on your back than the regular length trimmers and it starts easily everytime!

You will not regret buying an extended reach from Tanaka if you end up buying it.

Good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am pretty sure it is in the neighborhood of $450+ but again, it will last you many many years! I have several friends with Tanaka equipment teetering on 15+ years of hard labor but we have been without dealers here in the my area of FL for years. Even my local Tanaka dealer does not carry anything but will order it if you ask for it.

If you can in any way swing the cash it will not be wasted.

Wait for the Tanaka rep to contact you but do yourself a favor and wait just a day or so before you have to buy.

As far as trimmerline goes, I run .095 square Gatorline Magnum and with that trimmer, very little with be standing in your way!

I hope this helps!
Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.