1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which trimmer is best for me?

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by toadhall, Jun 5, 2005.

1. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

I've sort of snuck in here as a homeowner (5 acres, lots of grass and fields) but I have just started using a Tanaka pole saw and love it dearly. I'm currently trimming and knocking down weeds and light brush with a ryobi 31cc trimmer. It runs like a tank, but weighs about the same as one and its killing me to look at it! I'm so impressed with Tanaka's balance and power/weight ratio that I'd strongly consider buying one of your trimmers. My question, is which one? I want the weight advantage, but what do I give up in power and cutting ability? I'm already using 0.095 line and can cut light brush up to about 1/8in. I'd appreciate any advice before I go talk to my dealer. Are demos possible? Thanks in advance.

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    I would demo the TBC-2501 (24cc) or TBC-340PF (32cc) and see which one you prefer. Both feature solid steel drive shafts, heavy-duty gear boxes, and are blade and attachment capable.

Either one will blow the Ryobi away and last you 10, 15, 20 years - you won't be giving up anything (The TBC-340PF weighs only 13.2 lbs. WITH cutting head). Send me an email or PM and I will contact our Distributor in Northboro and see what the best option is for a demo. Who is your Tanaka dealer?

Also, get curious, how did you find the Tanaka forum on lawnsite.com?

-MW

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I would consider a Tanaka as well, though My needs are a little different than his^^^.. I do daily maint, but I really am power greedy. For example, I want a trimmer that will swing a lot of .105 line, effortlessly. My previous favorite was the Shindaiwa T-270, but the new emmisions ones seem weak to me.. What do you have with "normal" handles that RIPS?! In other words.. A brushcutter in lawn trimmer clothes. (preferable that doesn't weigh a ton)

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Did I ask something wrong?

5. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

I would suggest the TBC-340PF. 32cc, 1.6 HP TWO-STROKE POWER. The field test on the TBC-340PF is coming soon.

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TBC-340PF

-MW

6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Not at all.

-MW

7. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

Mark, Thanks for your fast reply. I can't get the PM system to work for me yet, so I'm posting here. A few questions before I get to doing a demo. Why do you suggest the 2501 over the 2500? I can't see much to separate them except for the weight. Also, what about the 230? Light, but how much does the smaller engine mean in the field? I usually cut for an hour at a clip and weight and balance are really important.

8. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

The TBC-2500 is the combination between the TBC-2501's engine and the TBC-230's shaft and gear box. So, the TBC-2501 has a padded D handle and a larger gear box than the 2500.

I guess it depends on how much of the "tough stuff" you encounter during your clearing job. If it's just grass the TBC-2500 or even TBC-230 would do just fine. However, if you are hitting a combination of grass, blackberry, or other "tough stuff", I would go with the 2501 or higher.

FYI - You can always add the padded D handle or even our new S-Start (which reduces pull-force by up to 60 percent) system to the 230 or 2500.

Hope this helps. Let me know of I can help setting up a demo.

-MW

9. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

Thanks Mark. I have mostly grass, heavy weeds, but they are mostly succulants. Some wild rose and blackberry. I can understand going up in power. I'd also consider the sweeper and hedge trimmer attachments. I would only use those very occasionally, so quick change isn't too important to me. I can't get the PM system to work, so could you try contacting me that way so we can set something up.

10. toadhall

toadhall LawnSite Member

Mark, it turns out that I can use the pm feature until I've been a member for 30 days. Once that happens, I'll be intouch privately because I'm very interested in following up on a demo as we've been discussing. Thanks until July!