Which used Ferris to buy. Help.

Meyerz2

LawnSite Member
I am buying a house with about 4 acres of relatively flat ground to mow. A regional dealer has a couple used Ferris mowers I am interested in. 1 is a 2017 IS3200Z with the vanguard 37hp with 1300 hours for $4000. 2 is a 2016 IS2100Z with 26 hp vanguard and 650 hours for $5000. Both are 61' decks. The history of each is not well known as they have multiple stores and these came from a another one. This will just be a personal use mower so hour usage will not be very great. Guessing under 100 per year. Interested to hear what some of you recommend.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
What about the other one? 2016 is2100z with 650 hours. $5100 OTD.
I might consider that one. But I would try to get the dealer to give me some type of warranty or try to talk him down a little. I am not a fan of buying used. When you buy used you might think you are saving money (and sometimes you do) but repair bills and downtime can eliminate those savings. I understand as a homeowner you don't want to put a fortune into a lawnmower so buying used may be the best option for you in order to get a machine that can get the job done fast. Buying new with 5 grand budget wouldn't get you an adequate machine. Also, none of my business, but are you paying cash or financing? Because if you are financing you got to see how much the interest will cost you because on new machines it is usually 0% which can mean some savings if paying it back over the course of 4 years.

OP
M

Meyerz2

LawnSite Member
I might consider that one. But I would try to get the dealer to give me some type of warranty or try to talk him down a little. I am not a fan of buying used. When you buy used you might think you are saving money (and sometimes you do) but repair bills and downtime can eliminate those savings. I understand as a homeowner you don't want to put a fortune into a lawnmower so buying used may be the best option for you in order to get a machine that can get the job done fast. Buying new with 5 grand budget wouldn't get you an adequate machine. Also, none of my business, but are you paying cash or financing? Because if you are financing you got to see how much the interest will cost you because on new machines it is usually 0% which can mean some savings if paying it back over the course of 4 years.
Paying cash. Moving from in town to country so have other toys ill need to finance. Like a side by side. ;)

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Paying cash. Moving from in town to country so have other toys ill need to finance. Like a side by side. ;)
I understand. Go for it then, just try to get him to add a warranty or lower the price a little or better yet, do both. It is the end of season so you have the bargaining power in the deal.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
The 2100z is a way better deal. Just starting to enter mid life. That 3200 has a lot of hours, avoid.