1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, May 16, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

a 12.5 hp kawasaki or a 12 hp briggs for 150 less.. both are attached to walk behind mowers. the 12.5 goes to a 36" gravely pro150 and the 12 goes to a 32" encore with bagger attachment. which would you choose? thanks.

randy

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't consider anything but the Briggs engine but I'm probably the only guy here that would say that:)

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

12.5 kaw on the gravely

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto...:weightlifter:

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The Kawi has a lot more power than the b & s.

The pecking order of engines from lowest to highest goes Briggs, Kohler is one tough engine, and Kawasaki is the best.

I had an older 52" mower where I blew the motor so I got a 15hp Vanguard but even my oldest 15hp Kohler had more oomph than the Vanguard... Never have had a Kawasaki because Kohler is good enough for me, but I strongly suspect a 12.5hp kawi would be roughly equivalent to around a 15hp briggs.

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

thanks everyone. i think i'll get the gravely.

7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

36" kawi wb

8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 15 hp new style (kai twin) and i'm not impressed with it. ithink it's a dog on my wb plus parts are hard to get and they are expensive.