White sand in St. Augustine grass

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Steve, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Once in a while I will see a lawn with some bare spots in St. Augustine grass and some put out white sand looks like play sand in those bare spots. One house in particular I always see it seems like grass never grows in those spots. Shouldn't they put soil and not sand to get the grass to grow? Am I missing something?

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Silver Member

Could it be pool filter sand being disposed of easily by being dumped in bare spots? Sure, soil or composted organic matter would be the better to apply. Are you sure it isn't just erosion and the leaching away of organic matter in the already sandy soil though, devoid of a root system to hold things in place. Have you actually seen people dumping sand there?

3. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Senior Member

In my area sand is added to compact the ground compaction so that the St. Augustine will fine in the bare spots where the ground has gotten so hard that the st a won’t spread across it successfully. I usually add regular top soil mixed with a little compost about 2in deep and the at Augustine fills in pretty quickly. If clients are wanting something faster, i will till up area slightly and re sod.

Dawson likes this.
  4. scottatbhm

scottatbhm LawnSite Member

It's been my experience that when a patch of St. Augustine dies for whatever reason, the surrounding St. Augustine won't cross over the dead grass to fill in the area. So I either clear away the dead grass or cover it with white sand and a couple months later it's all filled in.

5. SCAPELIFE

SCAPELIFE LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

We have put out lawn sand on a couple of at auggy lawns...customers wanted it my experience with the lawn sand don't go overkill...topsoil will fill in faster but the sand is a cheaper alternative

Dawson likes this.
  6. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Just seems like every time I drive by that house (in my parent's neighborhood) there is always white sand in that particular area. It's either traveling or just never covered up with grass, lol.

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

If there's constant bare spots in SA (or any grass for that matter) makes me think maybe poor irrigation coverage which is what I'd look at 1st

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I also think about a lack of nutrients. Grass on sand makes me spoon feed as often as every 14 days. Especially if damage repair is needed. But, in Florida, that is not allowed. Don't know what grass does for nutrients in Florida.

9. B3tterbug

B3tterbug Inactive

Probably an old timer thinking hes doing some good