Lawn Care Forum banner

White scale

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
Let me start by telling you a little about me . I Have 14 complexes in Gulf shores Al along the coast. The problem I'm having is white scale on my hollys. I have tried about all the chemicals the Nurseries have to offer around here even mixing Horticulture oil But all to no avail. The leaves on my shrubs are turning black.Oh by the way I'm told it is just not me having this problem here. They are saying our plants are getting immuned to our sprays. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Tom

#4 ·
First get a positve identification of the tpye of scale.
Once the insect is correctly identified learn the pest's life cycle and learn to identify the crawler stages. This is the most vulnerable stage of scale insects. Monitor the plants and treat when the crawlers start to emerge. You should check for any IMP groups in your state that track Growing Degree Days. This will help give you a better idea of when to start scouting. Timing is everything. Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.