1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

who does the telling? you, or the client?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 17, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when you do an estimate, who tells who what is going to be done? do you allow the client to tell you, or do you tell them? i tend to replace thier, "ok, this is what i want...." with my own, "ok, this is what we do." in other words it may go something like this: i arrive, he/she comes out, and says, "well, i need someone to mow our lawn." i then quickly come out with something like this, " ok, we are in this area on wed and thursday, what we do is , every week from mid april-october, we mow the lawn, weedwack, edge the front walkways (as needed) keep the cracks in the walkways/curb sprayed for weeds, and blow clipping off hard surfaces. this is how we bill......etc, etc." how does it go when YOU quote?

2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

I listen to what the customer wants and ask what they didn't like about the last guy then I start talking.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

First I listen to what the customer needs and then tailor their program to those needs.

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I listen to THEM FIRST and then i tell the person what i would charge for those jobs being performed

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do it like you. But first I hear what they have to say. It helps me get a feel for them, if they will be a pain, or more trouble than they are worth.

6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Customer: I'd like to see about getting my lawn mowed.

Me: Be glad to help you with that. Your name please?

Customer: Bill Jones[/I

Me: OK, Bill. I'd be glad to get you a price on that. But before we go any further, I need to be clear about one thing: We do require that all of our customers place a valid credit card on file for automatic payment. Would that cause any problems on your end?

I start dictating terms on the very front end of the conversation. If they give me resistance to the credit card or start trying to negotiate the old pay a month in advance routine before they even know my price, I just tell them the credit card is a deal breaker. It's not optional. If they aren't willing to pay this way, we simply won't take them on as a client.

Then we dictate, dictate, dictate. This is what we do and this is what you can expect.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

Even before meeting with the potential client, I screen the calls when they come in. If they say they want grass cutting, I tell them exactly what we do, then ask them if that is something that they would be interested in. If they say yes, then I set up an appt for Matt to meet with them. Saves a lot of time this way.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what made me ask this question? i'll tell you. my wife and i have had the same doctor for over 20 years. it was once just him, in a small office. he since has grown, and his office has about 7-8 doctors. you can call and request a particular doctor, or just take whoever is available. well, a couple months back, i had a bad sinus infection. i called for an apointment, and wanted to go in immediately, so i took whoever was available. the doctor walks in, and i tell him my symptoms. he ASKS ME, "do you think it may be a sinus infection? or, perhaps strep throat? " i'm like...."ummm, i don't know." he says "well, i can't be sure without a throat culture, do you think i should take one? or just try antibiotics, and see if it goes away?" :dizzy: i'm like, "ummmm, let's go with the culture." ok, we do, it comes back negative. he then says, "ok, i think it may be a sinus infection, do you agree?" i'm like, "uh, yea, sure." he says, "ok, well, it says here in my computer that 80% of sinus infections go away without medication, what do you want to do, wait it out, or have antibiotics?" at this point, i think he should be paying me. i said "give me a prescription so i can get the hell out of here." this guy scared me so much, that i asked the pharmecist if this was the right medication , and the right dosage, for a sinus infection. my point....when i call someone for work, or take my car in for repairs, or hire a "professional", i'm looking at them, TO TELL ME, what needs to be done, or what THEY WILL DO.

9. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

Bobby,
    I don't agree with that Doc but didn't you first need to tell him why you were there? A customer needs to tell us what they need then we can go from there. But, if you do it that way and you sell jobs go for it. I always say if it works for you keep diong it.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

If a doc had asked me those questions, I wouldnt have walked out of that office, I would have ran lol