• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Who does Their own repairs and who relys on the dealer

theheisk

LawnSite Member
How many of you guys work on your own stuff and how many use the dealer. I can understand if the equipment is under warranty. Was at the dealer the other day and seen alot of mowers in the shop and they get around 45 bucks per hour. My dad always taught me to repair my own equipment and it's helped me out tremendously. But I wonder how many use th dealer for every little repair?

Just a thought I had when I was tuning up my scag and changes the oils. If engine was to blow I Would tackle the job in my shop. Somtimes I enjoyed working on them more that mowin.http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=173874&d=1263857934
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Blevins

LawnSite Bronze Member
I take mine to my dealer for just about everything. I'm usually good for 1 hydro fluid and filter change in spring,fuel filter, and 3 oil changes per year. I buy a couple air filters and plugs while i'm there and change them myself. I also get all 2 stroke filters and plugs and change them at the begining of the season. I get my amzoil grease there and grease the zerks myself.

jtkplc

LawnSite Silver Member
I only take my equipment to the dealer for emergencies or the complicated/time consuming repairs. I try to do as much as possible on my own.

OP
theheisk

theheisk

LawnSite Member
Do all the scags up your way run the amsoil? I boght one from a guy in Kingsport and ran all amsoil. So I llooked at several places today nobody carried it.
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
if you cant fix a piece of equipment yourself, you shouldn't be using it.. and you should be ashamed if your earning a living with it..

saying that i do most of the stuff myself, unless i dont have the time, or its a real pita

OP
theheisk

theheisk

LawnSite Member
if you cant fix a piece of equipment yourself, you shouldn't be using it.. and you should be ashamed if your earning a living with it..

saying that i do most of the stuff myself, unless i dont have the time, or its a real pita
I tend to agree. But if you have a warranty then that don't count :)
Posted via Mobile Device

overtime mp

LawnSite Member
I agree with jtk up there only in a ER situation would I take the stuff to the stealer. Just like my truck but I'm a tech so that helps a lot also I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we fix all we have the knowledge and tools for, too time consuming and difficult we take to the dealer. is the only way to go unless you are machine ********!