Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you guys edge beds as part of lawn maint? when i hired my new guy this spring, i was shocked to see that he edged the beds with the weedwacker on every lawn. i was like, "hold on there chico' . we dont do that. but, apparently the others he worked for did. do u guys? my rule is simple. we do not leave the lawn . as far as a "grasscut" is concerned. we will do anything they want, but its all extra

·
Registered
486 Posts
only time we do that is for commercial customers(which is in the bid) or for FULL service clients mowing,fertilizing,aeration,overseed,mulching all beds at a 3" depth,and a spring power edging.We will pull weeds for free if they purchase mulching ,edging,and pre-m application as a package.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No we don't do that. Would be extra if we did. I did hire a guy one time who insisted on doing this though. Let him edge beds once in a while if we were caught-up. Customers loved it. These days I'm lucky if the guy will even pick-up the trimmer. :(

·
Registered
605 Posts
Normally I do it every time, sometimes every other. Depends on how it's growing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
do you guys edge the beds vertically and that's it or do you weed wack also?

Wade

·
Registered
99 Posts
We edge the beds with an edger. If it's a healthy lawn, we'll do it every week. Otherwise, we try to only do it every two weeks. "Concrete" gets edged every week.

If you don't edge the beds, our St. Augustine will send runners out into the beds and things get out of control fast.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
how many of you guys edge beds as part of lawn maint? when i hired my new guy this spring, i was shocked to see that he edged the beds with the weedwacker on every lawn. i was like, "hold on there chico' . we dont do that. but, apparently the others he worked for did. do u guys? my rule is simple. we do not leave the lawn . as far as a "grasscut" is concerned. we will do anything they want, but its all extra
This is a no brainer..... OOP's, sorry, you're from "Jersey":D Bobby, I decide how much nicer a particular area looks edged, then do it, and bill the customer for the time as part of a regular cut and blow. If the customer wants more edging, they pay for it.
I do run into having PT helpers that thinks everything should be edged. In that case, I do the weed whacking/edging and let the helper mow.
Pete

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Every bed gets string trimmer edged. Every time on most, every other on some cheapies. I use the string trimmer and put a nice vertical edge on them. Could never use the stick edger on beds though. I'd make more of a mess! The string trimmer flings out all trimmed material whereas the edger just lays it in the mulch.

Driveways (asphalt) get string trimmed at a 45 degree angle, and sidewalks get the stick edger.

All this happens FIRST, then I mow.

Clean, neat and CRISP.

Most LCO's around here do the same.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
We vertically trim mulched beds weekly (also along belgium block borders and polyethylene edging if its sunk deep enough). More often than not, the wider mower decks can overhang the edge of beds except for interior corners, so you need only trim vertically. It is a much cleaner look, more professional and doesn't take much time at all. Just like keeping the sidewalk seams and curblines weed free, and all curb lines, patios and porches blown off - its a more finished and professional look.

After all, if you're going to charge a little more than the rest, you might as well do a little more for it. The quality of your work is your best advertising, its what gets you noticed and what gets you great client referrals.

I can honestly say tha in the past 3 seasons that I've turned down over 500 prospective accounts - most referrals. I'm not saying that I would have taken all of them on, but probably would have liked to have jumped on 1 in 5. We currently just can't handle any more.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I do the beds every time. I am doing a very wealthy house that is for sale and the realter hung the sold sign out. anyway i met the new owner and he ask what i charged. I told him the price.(uped it 10 bucks) and the guy said that dosent include the trimming does it? I was like well yea it does. why would it be extra. Its part of the lawn cutting to me.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.