Who goes knockin on commercial accounts door.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Apr 3, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I recentlly overhead someone was bad mouthing me from one of the most established and know LCO's around. He said it is poor business to go and knock on commercial business's door and it solicitation.
    Jeeze i'm not looking to piss people off, everything I have learned I have learned off lawnsite and I have never heard any negatives to knockin on doors.

So who else goes around knockin on doors? Should I feel like a jerk?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

u must have knocked on one of his doors, dont worry about them, your not in the bus. to get their approval, i learned that lesson years ago the hard way.we hand out cover letters and reference list to commercial properties every winter. i dont see a problem with it

3. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Ask the offended LCO how he got that job in the first place?

Soliciting is how you get it done.

You can sit back and wait for business to come to you but I bet you will get a lot more of it if you go out and seek it.

If that guy is doing a quality job at a resonable price then he should have nothing to worry about. Bad-mouthing you for actively pursuing new accounts for your business shows him to be the classless LCO, not you.

Go get 'em,
    Dave

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with knocking on doors...it shows you're energetic at least and willing to earn their business.

5. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

I have created a marketing packet designed specifically for commercial properties. We stop in and give them to property managers.....guess you can consider that door knocking :)

6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Every chance I get I stop by commercial properties and ask when they are accepting bids. Then I make a note of it in my calender. When it comes time I submit the bid. That's just how business is done. It must have been one of his properties.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Shoot, you found out it was me.... :p

What the heck is wrong about walking up to a commercial establishment to see i you can offer them your services...absolutely nothing. I wouldn't worry one bit about it.

8. LawnGrassHoppers

LawnGrassHoppers LawnSite Member

keep knockin the door of oppurtunity will open. payup

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been considering doing something like this. How has it worked for you so far?

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

reminds me of that song "Knock Knock Knockin on Heavens Door, Yeah Yeah YEAH!"
    No way I would have the commercial accounts I have now If I didn't go looking for them. that means making Eye contact with the owner or manager by either knocking on the door or opening it.