1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Who has not started Aeration and why?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Turfco Tim, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Is the weather, dry or wet, affecting your plans to start aerating?

I have been getting feedback that the weather is delaying aeration in some areas.

Just want to confirm.

2. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

I am finding that it is too dry. We have not had any significant ran in weeks. The lawns here in Central Ohio are hard in my opinion. Rain is coming, but I do not know how much good it will do, since the ground needs a nice slow rain.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Problem A: waiting on tines for my aerator, which is in pieces in my garage. Also need a couple new bearings.
    Problem B: above mentioned aerator hasn't ran in about 6 months, def. needs the carb cleaned and adjusted.
    Problem C: too dry

4. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I started last week. It's very dry here. I use a Seedavtor and it breaks up the dry ground with no problems.

John

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have done some athletic feilds with irrigation. Waiting on the residentials & praying for rain. .5" of rain in the last 5 weeks here!

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

too dry, not so much for plugging but nervous about throwing out the fert w/ not have had rain going on 2.5 months

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

too dry for plugs here.

8. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

To dry and to early, I'll wait until the end of Sept. more than likely

9. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

Its been to dry here in Kansas City so far to start. But were supposed to get 2 - 3 days of rain next week so that should get us started.

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Aerate from march till mid november here regardless. Nearly all turf is irrigated so no need for rain. I do find hard spots around trees but hit those several times durring the course of aeration. I find it hard to believe that there are so many areas with no or little irrigation throughout the states. It is a must here unless you just dont care, in that case no need to aerate.