Who is thinking of leaf season now?

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I am, some trees are dropping leaves now here ,Not just a little. But more will grow back.

What do you do for prep? Or market? I set my truck and trailer up a certain way..

Leaf loader and blowers are still stored, or tarped off. Gator blades and other combos tucked away in the shed..

Went to most wooded property today, more leaves than grass clippings while emptying the bagger. Will be there again in 2 weeks or less again, and then weekly until November it looks like..

You can always add pics Thumbs Up

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
We've received several light to moderate rains over the past week which have knocked off the leaves that were dying from drought stress. I switched from hi lifts to 2 gators and a high lift on the discharge side. Really makes a difference when cutting the lawns. After the grass stops growing I will put on the third gator.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
We're thinking about it ourselves. Booked 2 new clients already in the last couple of days.

We've raised our prices again this year. I want to brainstorm pros & cons of hourly pricing with a minimum vs. flat pricing that we've always done.

Some companies in our area do hourly pricing which I've always shied away from in the past. Last year the weather was incredibly difficult for leaf work here and it hit us pretty hard on the number of jobs. With the early snow that we got many jobs were taking 1.5x - 2.5x longer than expected. We held the price to our original quotes but don't want to deal with that again.

I was thinking of starting a post about leaf cleanup when we got a little bit closer to the season. I was thinking most guys would say it's too early to think about right now :dizzy:

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
We're thinking about it ourselves. Booked 2 new clients already in the last couple of days.

We've raised our prices again this year. I want to brainstorm pros & cons of hourly pricing with a minimum vs. flat pricing that we've always done.

Some companies in our area do hourly pricing which I've always shied away from in the past. Last year the weather was incredibly difficult for leaf work here and it hit us pretty hard on the number of jobs. With the early snow that we got many jobs were taking 1.5x - 2.5x longer than expected. We held the price to our original quotes but don't want to deal with that again.

I was thinking of starting a post about leaf cleanup when we got a little bit closer to the season. I was thinking most guys would say it's too early to think about right now :dizzy:
Is it feasible to provide a quote range depending on conditions? Or, quotes may have to be done on day of service based on conditions.

Of course, the client will say "It was dry yesterday, why didn't you come then?"

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Is it feasible to provide a quote range depending on conditions? Or, quotes may have to be done on day of service based on conditions.

Of course, the client will say "It was dry yesterday, why didn't you come then?"
That's sort of where we are leaning towards. We want to also encourage 2 or more clean ups moving forward. Since it's so difficult to determine when the leaves will actually fall around here, pushing for an early (when some have fallen) and then a late (when most have) would be pretty helpful.

I think after the holiday we'll dig into it a bit more and make a good plan. I'm taking off for 4 days!!

OP
JLSLLC

JLSLLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I always have my leaf setup done early, ready to go. I don’t do snow so I want to make as much as I can off it

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
That's sort of where we are leaning towards. We want to also encourage 2 or more clean ups moving forward. Since it's so difficult to determine when the leaves will actually fall around here, pushing for an early (when some have fallen) and then a late (when most have) would be pretty helpful.

I think after the holiday we'll dig into it a bit more and make a good plan. I'm taking off for 4 days!!
I'm guessing 3 small cleanups might not be a whole lot more $ than 1 or 2 big ones. Understand that practices vary by region but most folks here like 7,10 or 14 day service during leaf season. A bit more $ but their years looks so much better.

It is an idea worth floating.

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm guessing 3 small cleanups might not be a whole lot more $ than 1 or 2 big ones. Understand that practices vary by region but most folks here like 7,10 or 14 day service during leaf season. A bit more $ but their years looks so much better.

It is an idea worth floating.
I always try to stay away from the 1 time clean up type. It's a pain and cheaper in the long run to do it more frequently. I just make it so they either do it multiple times at a fair price, do it once for the I don't want to do it price, or they find someone else which I'm fine with.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I always try to stay away from the 1 time clean up type. It's a pain and cheaper in the long run to do it more frequently. I just make it so they either do it multiple times at a fair price, do it once for the I don't want to do it price, or they find someone else which I'm fine with.
Not equipped for one timers. Working solo and one time huge cleanups don't go well together.....unless the leaves can be blown into the woods.