Who is thinking of leaf season now?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JLSLLC, Aug 27, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

3rd day of dumping leaves everywhere
    I know I have a dead arb:wall
    784A9EBE-A94C-40D5-B588-B3BE153E86B8.jpeg

Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am thinking of AFTER leaf season. lol.. I do not like leaf season too much. I also don't seek out the one timers. I do clean up for my regulars obviously, but I don't really like one time deals unless I know who I am dealing with. I try to be smart and only do properties that have woods around to blow everything back into lol..

Cam15, KUMA01, JLSLLC and 2 others like this.
  3. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Gathering up leaves is one service that I do not offer. I will blow them out of beds and away from homes and mulch them up in the yard. The ones already in the yard get chopped up into fine particles and stay. Guess it all depends on what your customers want. I've had a few request that I remove the leaves and told them no, but I could mulch them up. They agreed with that.

dKoester, Cam15 and weeze like this.
  4. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

???? Hourly rate of $35 for leaf cleanup whaaat. We are billing leafs at $75 plus per hr.
    And 4 to 5 times cutting rate.
    No clue where you are located, leafs may be very few where your at.

5. Mow-Daddy.com

I've been using leaf plow for many yrs.
    Game changer if you need to move leafs any distance. I've got an electric hoist for raising and lowering plow.
    Btw thats not me in driver seat. #1 Grand Son. 20180426_114820.jpg

JLSLLC, Cam15, hort101 and 6 others like this.
  6. landscaper22

I don't have any properties that have that many leaves. My neighbor's yard has the most, but I still tell her I am going to service every 2 weeks so as to not have them all fall at once. I told her i could mulch them up that way and push them into the woods with the blower. Either that, or pay me a fortune to do one clean up and haul everything off. Luckily she opted for keeping it going every 2 weeks. lol..

That is a nice leaf plow though. Seems like it would make life a lot easier. Lucky for me, I have talked most of my customers into mulching, dumping in woods, or some other option to save them a dumping fee. To me, nothing is worse than having a load (or loads) of debris to dump. Just can't stand it. It's tough to get people to pay my normal rate to haul plus dump fees. I am glad I have talked them into the option that is easier for me too lol

7. scaypa

scaypa LawnSite Member

I’d love to get one of the stand on leaf blowers for this season.

KUMA01, Cam15 and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  8. Mow-Daddy.com

Leaf season in MN is far different then SC.
    Once frost hits you can literally have 10,000 lbs of leafs per acre in 1 weeks time. I've got several property's that I will haul off 12,000 lbs of leafs in one shot. Or more.
    I've used a garden center for yrs to dump leafs in they're compost pile for free.
    Now we have a large property we bought so I will be creating my own compost pile.
    Win - win. Make money removing leafs, make money on compost for our greenhouse.

9. landscaper22

Yeah sounds like a win/win. I know its a lot different with leaves there. Some types of trees drop most of the leaves quickly here, but many don't. Some take about 6 or so weeks. It is nice to get about 3 cleanup services out of it versus having mounds of leaves. It just isn't something I like to do personally. Well pine straw is worse than leaves though. That long leaf straw is a pain and falls in late summer and through fall. Hate it with a passion. lol..When I service yards with woods around though, I am thrilled. It is so easy to just push everything back where it came from and spread it out. Haha

hort101 and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  10. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Platinum Member

Any advantages to adding 6-9hp push leaf blowers vs adding a second 8010?

Cam15, sjessen, hort101 and 1 other person like this.