who is truly practicing ipm?

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
In your world, no its not

My world I am using one of the safest products avaible for a very common problem that would require using a far worst product ( dylox ) if the grubs did infest the lawn. So I would say yes, this is a perfect example of IPM,

Now if its a shaddy lawn that thin, I would not apply merit.

I think your source is just trying to get you all worked up......isnt Ric's wife a employee there? :)

OP
B

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
a hah, so, u think slick ric is behind this? i shoulda known, it's always the quiet ones we have to watch out for. james, look at what you wrote:" if the grubs infest the lawn." that's a big IF james, you can't positively identify an "if"

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
No, but I can make a educated guess to determine that could be a problem, In my case my 19 years working in this field I think I can do that.

That may not be a good enough answer for "your source"

But I question weather or not this is a real problem to worry about. Tomorrow I will call Malcap ( mass association of lawn care professionals ) and ask them if they think this is a legit concern, MY educated guess is its not

OP
B

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
james, i hope it's all talk, this would wipe me out. not that i'm makin a million $$$ in pests, but i planned on growing

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
I remember back in 87 when 20/20 did their story on Lawn chemicals....I thought my god this business is done, but once the truth came out and the dust settled and people started using commen sense people relized there is no safer way to have pesticedes applied then by a licence pro that reads the labels and follows basic guide lines that state dep's provide.

All in all I think your source, is full of crap and just trying to get your feathers ruffled

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
I remember back in 87 when 20/20 did their story on Lawn chemicals....I thought my god this business is done, but once the truth came out and the dust settled and people started using commen sense people relized there is no safer way to have pesticedes applied then by a licence pro that reads the labels and follows basic guide lines that state dep's provide.

All in all I think your source, is full of crap and just trying to get your feathers ruffled

PaulJ

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think of IPM as a combination of culteral practices and chemical and maechanical control. Anytime one takes into account that you don't want to put out chemicals you don't need, you are in the spirit of ipm to some extent . that's hwy I don't blaket spray every yard for weeds. That's why I dont put grub control on unless the client requests it. (it is not a part of my standard program) I don't take Ipm to 100% but I do keep it in mind.

Here's some good reading on IPM

http://entomology.unl.edu/lgh/ent806/lecture24_ ipm_and_thresholds.htm

Tscape

LawnSite Bronze Member
I didn't think I liked the way this thread was sounding at the start. It has already been said: we all practice IPM and none of us do. The real world dictates practices.

turfsolutions

LawnSite Senior Member
My 3 cents:

In response to Merit aps. I was told at a educational seminar several years ago that Merit was 1/8 the toxicity of Dylox and most other post control products. So if you put down Merit for 8 years, it equals one application of Dylox. You could risk it and go every other year with Merit and you have cut your pesticide use for grubs in half (toxicity wise) - IPM??

IPM also depends of the customer. I have a few customers with drop dead gorgeus lawns and if they see one weed they are emailing me. Tough to practice IPM in these cases.

I do feel I practice IPM. I Soil test 80% of properties that I do. I apply granular organic based fert. I only blanket spray lawns when needed and spot treat the rest. I am trying out an all natural biological fungicide this year which will cut my chem. fungicide use in half. I aerate most properties once a year, cut with sharp blades keeping as much as possible to the 1/3 rule. I inform my customers about proper watering.

In my opinion, the first step in future regulations should be to ban over the counter pesticide sales to home owners. Liscensed applicators only. I see 100 times the mistakes done by homeowners who don't even take the time to read the damn label. A fine example: how many of you guys have seen a homeowner spray what they thought was a selective herb. on their lawns only to find out 7 days later that it was a non selective herb. My brother in law was putting down merit the day after it had rained 2 inches. It would be a win win situation for us lco's and the environment.

Project Earth LLC.

LawnSite Member
I didnt read all the posts here, but I see who started this (Bobby). And once again, I dont think the people responding to Bobby understand what it is like in NJ. NJ has *SERIOUS* environmental problems and the NJ DEP has really gotten out of control the last few years, and doesnt seem to be slowing down at all. I understand why Bobby posted on IPM, because he lives in NJ and NJ is going nuts promoting and trying to enforce it.

So like he said, when the day comes that you started to get fined out the a$s for not practicing it, what happens?? Do prices get so far out of control that the industry dies? Are *YOU* going to test soil, monitor properties, try natural means of pest prevention for "$29. an application"?

-JC

-JC