who is truly practicing ipm?

lars

LawnSite Member
IPM is much more than chemicals and good results can be obtained if you think about what you are doing. Not a single person has menitoned proper cultural practices are a part of IPM. Keep proper N levels to control diseases and keep out certain weeds. Take another step by relieving compaction and adjusting your mowing height. Also, healty turf is holds a higher threshold as far as insect damage goes. Some of these things will make life easier for you and earn you some extra money. Mabye an extra fert app each year or aerify twice as much.

There is some potential in other aspects of IPM. If someone has grubs, you can get paid to release preadatory insects. They don't sell those at Lowe's. If in fact the laws change you have to roll with the punches and adapt. Being a dynamic businessman often determines your success in the industry. If things change, change with them.

As far as the laws in NJ, I don't know much about them. It's a shame if the turf market is being singled out as a result of widespread problems. When applied propely, turf is one of the safest plants to apply chemicals. I seriously doubt that banning chemical use in NJ would solve anything.

OP
B

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
lars, i agree on the cultural practices. as far as the nemitodes, again, that would require monitoring, and incorporating the beasts after it has been determined that grubs exsist, and threshold is determined. again, nemitodes are very expensive, and what about monitoring the site, who's gonna pay me for that. that's the reason i hate the idea of true and total ipm, it requires alot of testing and monitoring, who's gonna pay me for this?

philk17088

LawnSite Fanatic
LEts ask a tougher question? How many customers would keep you if all they saw you doing every visit was scouting?

Tre/shrub service is even more difficult, walk around doing pest monitoring, never pull a hose and leave a bill? Yep, it is fundementally correct and I do it at my own property, but it ain't going to fly with the average homeowner.

OP
B

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
that's what i'm tryin to tell ya phil, if you really only do what you sincerely need to do, you'll go broke. that's why we have established "basic programs" for our own areas. based on the needs, of the average homeowner in each of our areas, we establish a basic program. unfortunately, i think the future of this end of the business(the best end) is doomed

lars

LawnSite Member
When you charge then for one application (or bug release or whatever) include the cost of you going out and scouting. They will think they are getting monitoring visits for free. As far as when they freak out at such a huge bill, that's the price to pay for the new rules. I know where you' re comming from and why you're angry. However, if the rules change you have to change too. And if you're ready for it you can be a step ahead of your competition.