who makes a hand held that will stay running?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
Here's our problem. We have always used red max hand helds when doing clean ups. Backpack tube in right hand. Hand held blower in left hand. Since the red max hand helds have failed us we have now tried echo which have carb issues and shindawa which lack on power. We need the intake for air on left side so it doesn't suck on your leg. Any ideas? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
personally i have always used stihl hand helds.

i've never heard anyone complain about the brands you've used to make them ask for a brand that "stays running"

stihl, echo, red max, shinda-whatever all make good equipment as far as i can tell. sure everyone will have there preferance.

but i can tell you my stihl br400 backpack blower still starts on the first pull and runs just fine. that thing is at least 6-7 years old. actually i wish it would crap out so i can get the br600 magnum.

OP
D

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
Maybe the difference is we will run ours for eight hours a day. The red max we continually seize up. The echoed ran strong when they weren't having carb issues. The shindawa seem to be runners but underpowered. Have not tried stihl yet. Do you know if they draw from left side? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

andyslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Good idea on a left hand blower. I never thought of that. I use all echo products, and sometimes the carbs on the hedge clippers act up...we now put sea foam in all of the 2 cycle fuel and no problems in months.

How much have you guys seen productivity rise while using a handheld and back pack? Obiviously good enough to have them I suppose...

professional

LawnSite Member
I have a BR600 Mag which is a right-hand tube and a Stihl BG86 for the left hand. It does intake on the right side and does grab your left pants leg. It was annoying at first, but I just hold it a little farther away and it's fine. The BG86 is a beast though. Best hand-held I've ever used.

clc19chase

LawnSite Member
Good idea on a left hand blower. I never thought of that. I use all echo products, and sometimes the carbs on the hedge clippers act up...we now put sea foam in all of the 2 cycle fuel and no problems in months.

How much have you guys seen productivity rise while using a handheld and back pack? Obiviously good enough to have them I suppose...
been using 2 blowers for 10 years now, doesnt feel right without them both. the handheld in the left hand keeps you from stopping and backing up to get some debris that will kick back towards you when blowing with just a backpak. and will move alot more leaves with the extra CFM's during cleanups

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
hmmm i get my stihl blower to run all day every day during the fall with 87 octane and full synth oil.

as to the op who asked about the intake on the stihls. i have no idea. i've always just used my backpack. i stay away from the hand held blowers. never have liked them.